An easy recipe for a healthy and keto egg drop soup made without cornstarch. Don’t worry about getting the eggs just right – it’s delicious even when imperfect!
Tasty, healthy and nourishing, there’s something so comforting about egg drop soup. I find the combination of flavorful clear broth and delicate egg ribbons, all flavored with soy sauce and green onions, irresistible.
This is my favorite soup to eat when I have a cold. Classic chicken soup is great too, but the addition of eggs makes this soup so nourishing. And the Asian flavors are just wonderful and can penetrate through the stuffiest of noses.
The ingredients used in this keto egg drop soup recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty soup (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Green onion
What broth to use?
If you don’t have homemade chicken broth on hand, it’s fine to use store-bought. My favorite store-bought chicken broth is Pacific Organic Chicken Broth. It’s very tasty, and the list of ingredients is clean.
Whatever chicken broth you choose, please don’t use low-sodium broth in this recipe. Low-sodium broth is a great base for many recipes, but it lacks flavor, and in this recipe, it’s going to be noticeable.
How to make keto egg drop soup
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by whisking the egg with some black pepper.
- Next, heat the broth and soy sauce in a small pot. When the broth starts to boil, slowly drip the egg into the broth.
- Let the egg set for a few seconds, then gently whisk with a fork.
- Remove from heat, pour into a bowl, garnish with chopped scallions and serve.
Is it difficult to make egg drop soup?
Before I made it for the first time, I did some online research, and boy, you would think that dropping a raw egg into hot broth was rocket science! They really scared me into thinking it would be impossible.
But I found it quite easy actually. I did allow the egg to set a little in the hot broth before I started whisking it. And you should definitely expect to have to practice the technique a couple of times until you get it just right.
But hey — relax! Even when the consistency of the eggs is not perfect, this soup is still delicious!
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is, especially if you use homemade chicken broth, which is truly healthy.
However, this keto egg drop soup is a high-sodium dish, especially if you use commercial chicken broth. So if you need to limit your sodium intake, this recipe is probably not the best fit for you.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Egg Drop Soup
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup clear chicken broth, not low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce (or a gluten-free alternative)
- 1 large green onion, chopped (green parts only)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with black pepper.
- Heat the broth and soy sauce in a small pot over medium-high heat. When broth starts to boil, slowly drip the egg into the broth. Allow to set for a few seconds, then gently whisk with a fork.
- Remove from heat, pour into a soup bowl, garnish with the chopped green onions and serve.