An easy recipe for healthy keto egg drop soup made without cornstarch. Don’t worry about getting the eggs just right – it’s delicious even when imperfect!
Tasty, healthy and nourishing, there’s something so comforting about egg drop soup. I find the combination of flavorful clear broth and delicate egg ribbons, all flavored with soy sauce and green onions, irresistible.
This is my favorite soup to eat when I have a cold. Classic chicken soup is great too, but the addition of eggs makes this soup so nourishing. And the Asian flavors are just wonderful and can penetrate through the stuffiest of noses.
The ingredients used in this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty soup:
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Green onion
What broth to use in egg drop soup?
If you don’t have homemade chicken broth on hand, it’s fine to use store-bought in this egg drop soup. My favorite store-bought chicken broth is Pacific Organic Chicken Broth – it’s very tasty, and the list of ingredients is clean.
Whatever chicken broth you choose, please don’t use low-sodium broth in this recipe. Low-sodium broth is a great base for many recipes, but it lacks flavor, and in this recipe, it’s going to be noticeable.
How to make egg drop soup
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by whisking the egg with some black pepper.
- Next, heat the broth and soy sauce in a small pot. When the broth starts to boil, slowly drip the egg into the broth. Let set for a few seconds, then gently whisk with a fork.
- Remove from heat, pour into a bowl, garnish with chopped scallions and serve.
Is it difficult to make egg drop soup?
Before I made it for the first time, I did some online research, and boy, you would think that dropping a raw egg into hot soup was rocket science! They really scared me into thinking it would be impossible.
But I found it quite easy actually. I did allow the egg to set a little in the hot soup before I started whisking it, and you should expect to have to practice the technique a couple of times until you get it just right.
But hey — relax! Even when the consistency of the eggs is not perfect, egg drop soup is still delicious!
Is this a healthy recipe?
It’s true that this is a high-sodium food, especially if you use commercial chicken broth. But whether a high-sodium diet is unhealthy for people that don’t suffer from specific issues is unclear according to some studies.
This is obviously a decision that you would need to make for yourself depending on your personal health situation and your doctor’s advice.
Easy Egg Drop Soup
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup clear chicken broth, not low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce (or a gluten-free alternative)
- 1 large green onion, chopped (green parts only)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with black pepper.
- Heat the broth and soy sauce in a small pot over medium-high heat. When broth starts to boil, slowly drip the egg into the broth. Allow to set for a few seconds, then gently whisk with a fork.
- Remove from heat, pour into a soup bowl, garnish with the chopped green onions and serve.