A thick, hearty and spicy cabbage soup that gets an extra kick from cajun andouille sausage. It’s so hearty and filling, I consider it a main course.
This hearty and spicy cabbage soup with sausage is such a lovely way to keep warm on a cold winter night! It is rich, very flavorful, and the spicy sausage turns it into a complete meal.
It’s also a very easy recipe. I use pre-shredded cabbage in this recipe because I’m lazy. But you could certainly chop your own cabbage, it’s easy enough to do.
The ingredients used in this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty, comforting cabbage soup (exact measurements can be found in the recipe card below):
Onion: A healthy ingredient.
Spices: Garlic, coriander, cumin, and black pepper. Spices are delicious and healthy, but make sure they are fresh. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish!
Shredded cabbage: I make life easy by buying it already washed and shredded.
Diced tomatoes: Leave them undrained. It’s best to use petite-diced tomatoes if you can.
Beef stock: Not reduced-sodium. Store-bought is fine, but when I have some in the freezer, I like to use homemade bone broth.
How to make cabbage soup with sausage
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Cook the onions, sausage and spices in olive oil.
- Add the shredded cabbage and briefly stir-fry.
- Stir in the tomatoes and beef stock. Simmer for 10 minutes. Done!
How to serve it?
This soup is a complete meal. It’s very filling! So there’s really no need to serve anything with it. Although you can certainly serve it to six as a first course if you’d like.
Is it Keto?
No, it’s not. It has 19 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber per serving, which is a bit too high-carb for someone on the keto diet. So if you’re on the keto diet or if you must eat very low carb, this soup is probably not the best choice for you. Perhaps you could try this wonderful egg drop soup instead.
What about leftovers?
If you have leftovers of cabbage soup with sausage, they keep well for 3-4 days in the fridge, in an airtight container.
In fact, the soup gets even more flavorful the second day! I gently reheat bowls of it, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 oz spicy andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (10 oz) packages shredded cabbage (for coleslaw)
- 1 (14 oz) can unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained (petite-diced is best)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart beef stock (not low-sodium)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the oil and the onion. Cook until tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage. Cook until lightly browned, 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, coriander and cumin. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add the shredded cabbage, in batches if necessary. Stir-fry 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, black pepper, and beef stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.