Delightfully refreshing, this delicious cold avocado soup with yogurt is wonderfully creamy. It’s the perfect summertime lunch!
Cold avocado soup with yogurt is just the thing in summer. Creamy and refreshing, it’s a lifesaver when you just can’t bring yourself to heat up the oven or slave over a hot stove.
How to make cold avocado soup
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. A couple of helpful tips:
- Make sure you use full-fat Greek yogurt in this soup for the best results. Low-fat yogurt won’t be as good.
- If you use regular yogurt instead of Greek that’s fine, but then you’ll need to add less water to the soup.
- The cayenne is purely optional. It was a last-minute decision to add it. But I do like the subtle kick that it adds to this cold avocado soup.
How to serve cold avocado soup
This cold avocado soup makes a great appetizer. But I often make a bowl of it for my lunch. It’s rich, creamy, and very satiating, so it’s very appropriate as a light summer meal.
Is this a healthy recipe?
What about leftovers?
I never tried to keep leftovers of this cold avocado soup, so I’m not sure how it would hold up. The lemon juice SHOULD prevent the avocado from turning brown. So I assume it’s fine to keep leftovers for a day or two and mix them again before serving. But as I said, I never actually tried it so I’m not sure.
More tasty chilled soup recipes
Another chilled soup that I love making in the summer is gazpacho – it’s so very flavorful and healthy. And Tzaziki, although usually served as a dipping sauce, can be slightly diluted and served as a wonderful chilled soup. It’s one of my favorites!
Cold Avocado Soup
- 1 medium avocado, diced (6 oz without refuse)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water plus more as needed
- Place all the ingredients in food processor, starting with 1/2 cup water. Process until very smooth, about 1 minute, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Check the consistency and, if desired, add up to 1/4 cup more water and process to combine.
- Divide the avocado soup among 4 individual bowls. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Mix again, garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.