An easy recipe for paleo and low carb sweet and sour meatballs. It’a a one-pan dish and it’s ready in about 30 minutes!
An easy recipe for delicious, sticky, sweet and sour meatballs, smothered in tasty sauce. Serve them with toothpicks as an appetizer, or over cauliflower rice as an entree.
The original recipe is my mother in law’s and calls for browning the meatballs in a skillet, then cooking them in broth, and finally glazing them with the sauce.
My mother in law’s sweet and sour meatballs are amazing, but I am far too lazy for a three-step recipe! So I decided to streamline, skip the browning and cooking and simply bake the meatballs.
The result is still wonderful! Easy and delicious sweet and sour meatballs that are also low carb.
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. I reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for pan
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or a low carb substitute
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, or a paleo/gluten free alternative
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with a teaspoon of oil.
- Mix the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl. Form 20 meatballs, and place in the prepared baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Pour the sauce over the meatballs, spooning sauce over each meatball to make sure they are well-coated. Bake 10 more minutes, uncovered, until meatballs are well browned and sauce is thick and fragrant. Serve immediately.