An easy recipe for delicious, sticky, sweet and sour meatballs, smothered in a tasty sauce. They are oven baked, healthy and low carb.
An easy recipe for delicious, sticky, sweet and sour meatballs, smothered in a very tasty sauce. Oven baked, they are very easy to make.
How to make sweet and sour meatballs
The original recipe is my mother in law’s and calls for browning the meatballs in a skillet, then cooking them in broth, and finally glazing them with the sauce.
My mother in law’s meatballs are amazing, but I am far too lazy for a three-step recipe! So I decided to streamline, skip the browning and cooking and simply bake the meatballs.
The result is wonderful! Easy and delicious meatballs that are also low carb. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
How to serve sweet and sour meatballs
You can serve them with toothpicks as an appetizer. But I usually serve them as a main dish for dinner. They’re great on a bed of cauliflower rice. I also like to add an Asian-style vegetable such as braised bok choy.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. Fresh unprocessed beef is very nutritious. The meatballs don’t contain fillers such as breadcrumbs, and carb count is kept to a minimum. Take a look at the nutrition info for these sweet and sour meatballs. I think it’s quite impressive!
What about leftovers?
Leftovers of these sweet and sour meatballs should keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
More tasty meatball recipes
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for pan
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or a low carb substitute
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, or a paleo/gluten free alternative
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with a teaspoon of oil.
- Mix the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl. Form 20 meatballs, and place in the prepared baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Pour the sauce over the meatballs, spooning sauce over each meatball to make sure they are well-coated. Bake 10 more minutes, uncovered, until meatballs are well browned and sauce is thick and fragrant. Serve immediately.