An easy recipe for savory mashed butternut squash. Cook the squash in the microwave, then add butter, Parmesan, salt and garlic. Delicious!
Delightfully buttery and cheesy, and far healthier than potatoes, mashed butternut squash is one of my favorite substitutes for the starchy, high-carb “real thing.”
Even my picky kids really like this recipe. They like it better than roasted butternut squash, which my husband and I actually prefer.
The ingredients you’ll need
The list of ingredients for this recipe is delightfully short. Here’s what you’ll need (exact amounts are listed in the recipe card below):
- Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Minced garlic
How do you make mashed butternut squash?
I use the food processor to achieve a smooth mash. But you can use a potato masher or even a fork if you don’t mind some elbow grease and slightly lumpier consistency.
The combination of using the microwave to cook the squash and then using the food processor to prepare the mash makes this a truly easy recipe.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You start by microwaving the squash cubes until tender.
- Add the squash and the remaining ingredients to your food processor.
- Process until smooth. That’s it!
Is this a healthy recipe?
How to serve mashed butternut squash
This is a very versatile side dish that truly goes with anything. I often serve it with one of the following main dishes:
A sweet alternative to the savory recipe
I’m not a fan of making a sweet mash. I prefer my side dishes savory. But if you’d like to try a sweet version of this recipe, simply omit the salt, garlic, and Parmesan. Then add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to the mash and process as usual.
What about leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of this mashed butternut squash recipe, they should keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
Simply reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power prior to enjoying.
More tasty mash recipes
Other tasty and healthy mashes that we all enjoy are:
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Mashed Butternut Squash
- 1 lb. raw butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place the butternut squash cubes in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and microwave for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Place the cooked butternut squash along with the remaining ingredients in your food processor. Process until smooth, 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Serve the mashed butternut squash immediately. Keep leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.