This easy recipe for ground beef meat pie is low carb and keto. A crustless pie, this tasty meat pie is big on beef flavor and contains no starchy fillers.
I really like this keto and low carb meat pie. Made with well seasoned ground beef and shredded cheese, it’s super tasty. We like it better than many other ground beef recipes, even the beloved meatloaf and baked cheeseburgers. Although this cheesy ground beef casserole is a serious contender!
I think it’s the extra step of cooking the ground beef before adding the seasonings and baking the meat pie. Somehow, it makes for a more flavorful, juicier dish.
The addition of tomato paste, Dijon mustard and lots of spices really enhances the flavor of this easy ground beef meat pie.
What type of ground beef to use in this keto meat pie?
I usually use lean ground beef in this recipe (85/15). I never tried it with extra lean ground beef, but I think it will probably work. Though perhaps it won’t be as flavorful. Fat does add lots of flavor.
Let the low carb meat pie rest before cutting it
Despite having no crust to hold it together, this keto meat pie holds together just fine. It is very important, though, to let it rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes after it’s done. This will allow the cooking juices to get reabsorbed back into the pie, and will allow for easier, cleaner slicing.
As long as you let the meat pie cool and set, cutting it into slices is easy. If you try to cut it too early, it could fall apart.
How to serve this pie?
This keto meat pie goes well with lots of side dishes. It’s very versatile. I simply serve it with a side of vegetables. I often serve it with roasted mini peppers, with sauteed broccolini, or with jicama fries.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave, on 50% power, about 1 minute per slice. I sometimes actually eat them cold for my lunch the next day, with fresh cut veggies, grainy mustard and quick pickles.
Low Carb Meat Pie
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for the pan
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 lb lean ground beef, 85/15
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil and place it on a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch any drips while baking).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano and cayenne.
- Whisk in the Dijon mustard and the tomato paste. Set the egg mixture aside.
- Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium heat. You can add some oil if you want, but I find it unnecessary as the beef releases quite a bit of fat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring often and breaking it up as it cooks, until no longer raw but still slightly pink, about 5 minutes. Drain. Allow to slightly cool.
- Mix the cooked and drained ground beef into the egg mixture. Mix in 1 cup shredded cheddar.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie plate, packing it in and smoothing the top and sides out. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar on top.
- Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.