An easy keto recipe for a ground beef meat pie. This crustless pie is big on beef flavor and contains no starchy fillers!
I really like this keto meat pie. Made with well-seasoned ground beef and shredded cheese, it’s wonderfully flavorful.
A favorite keto ground beef recipe
I think what makes this pie especially good is the extra step of cooking the ground beef before adding the seasonings and baking. Somehow, it makes for a more flavorful, juicier dish.
And the addition of tomato paste, Dijon mustard and lots of spices really enhances the flavor of this dish.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe (the exact measurements are included in the recipe card below):
- Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes.
- Kosher salt: If using fine salt, you should use less of it.
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and cayenne. Make sure they are fresh! Spices are delicious and healthy, but a stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
- Dijon mustard: It’s creamy and less vinegary than yellow mustard.
- Tomato paste.
- Ground beef: I use a 85/15 mix. I tried a 90/10 mix (extra-lean ground beef) and felt it was too dry.
- Shredded cheddar: I like to use sharp cheddar.
How to make keto ground beef meat pie
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by mixing the egg with the salt, spices, mustard and tomato paste.
- Cook the ground beef and drain.
- Mix with the egg mixture.
- Add in some of the cheddar.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to a greased pie plate and top with more cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes at 350°F.
What type of ground beef to use?
I usually use lean ground beef in this recipe (85/15). I tried this recipe one time with extra-lean ground beef and felt it came out too dry and not as flavorful. So I don’t recommend it.
Let it rest before cutting
Despite having no crust to hold it together, this keto meat pie holds together just fine. It is very important, though, to let it rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes after it’s done.
This will allow the cooking juices to get reabsorbed back into the pie and will allow for easier, cleaner slicing. As long as you let the pie cool and set, cutting it into slices is easy. If you try to cut it too early, it could fall apart.
How to serve keto meat pie?
It goes well with lots of side dishes. It’s very versatile. I simply serve it with a side of vegetables. I often serve it with one of the following:
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave, on 50% power, about 1 minute per slice.
I sometimes eat them cold for my lunch the next day, with fresh-cut veggies, grainy mustard, and quick pickles. But they do taste better when heated up.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Ground Beef Meat Pie
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for the pan
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 lb lean ground beef, 85/15
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil and place it on a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch any drips while baking).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano and cayenne.
- Whisk in the Dijon mustard and the tomato paste. Set the egg mixture aside.
- Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium heat. You can add some oil if you want, but I find it unnecessary as the beef releases quite a bit of fat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring often and breaking it up as it cooks, until no longer raw but still slightly pink, about 5 minutes. Drain. Allow to slightly cool.
- Mix the cooked and drained ground beef into the egg mixture. Mix in 1 cup shredded cheddar.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie plate, packing it in and smoothing the top and sides out. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar on top.
- Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.