Crispy, very flavorful jalapeño cheese crisps are the perfect low carb, gluten free snack. Serve them as a party appetizer or make them for game day!
These jalapeño cheese crisps are the best way to never feel deprived again on your low carb diet.
The holidays are tough. Even if you have tons of amazing low carb, healthy holiday recipes, there’s something about the endless parade of tempting snacks that can prove difficult even for the most dedicated low carbers.
I love holiday parties – I love going to them and I love hosting them. It’s always fun to start the evening with drinks and a few party snacks. But what to serve that’s healthy, gluten free and low carb?
Deviled eggs are always nice. A meat and cheese tray is great. But when you want some crunch, nothing beats these jalapeño cheese crisps. They are easy to make (watch the video to see how easy), very tasty, and the addition of jalapeños adds just enough heat to make them interesting. They also look great!
It’s best to serve these jalapeño cheese crisps a short time after baking them. They are delicious even after a few hours, but they are not as crispy. They are best straight out of the oven.
Needless to say, even after the holidays, these crisps are perfect for game day, and in fact they make a great low carb snack any day!
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make these jalapeno cheese crisps! You might notice that I tend to slice jalapenos first, then remove the seeds, while the proper technique is to remove the seeds and membranes, then slice.
Slicing first allows me to leave some of the jalapeno rings unseeded, for those who like their food very spicy (my husband, for example). But I do tend to pick large, dark green jalapenos, which are not that spicy. Whatever you do, either use gloves when handling jalapenos, or wash your hands afterwards.
- 1 large fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the jalapeño pepper into very thin slices. If you don't want your cheese crisps very hot, remove the seeds and membranes, especially from the slices near the stem. It's a good idea to wash your hands after handling jalapeño peppers.
- Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop the cheese into the prepared baking sheet, creating 16 mounds.
- Gently flatten the cheese mounds with your fingers. Keep them about an inch apart from each other.
- Place a slice of jalapeño in the middle of each cheese mound.
- Bake until very browned, about 12 minutes.
- Allow to firm up on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes, then remove to a serving platter and serve.