“This is not real pizza!” Declared the younger one, refusing to even try, not even one bite. Us adults and the teenager, however, loved this portobello pizza – delicious, low carb, and very filling. Great as a side dish (one per person) or as a main dish (2 per person) with a big salad.
Stuffed and baked portobello mushrooms can become soggy. To avoid sogginess:
1. Wipe clean, don’t wash them (they absorb water).
2. Pre-broil to release some of the water.
3. In the final stage of baking or broiling, broil or bake briefly, just until topping is browned. Baking too long will result in mushy mushrooms that have released their liquid into your filling. If that happens, the only thing you can do is to carefully drain the liquid, and place the mushrooms on paper towels to soak as much of the liquid as you can.
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
2 large portobello mushroom, wiped clean, stem removed
Olive oil cooking spray (make your own using an oil sprayer)
1/2 cup of your favorite no-added-sugar marinara sauce (I like Rao’s, especially their spicy marinara)
2 oz part-skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
4 basil leaves, torn to pieces, or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
1. Preheat broiler, setting temperature to high. Set oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
2. Spray the mushroom caps with olive oil spray on both sides. Broil 5 minutes on each side, or until just tender.
3. Remove the mushrooms from the oven, keeping the broiler on. If the mushrooms have released some of their water content, drain them briefly on paper towels and wipe the baking sheet dry, then return the mushrooms, gill side up, to the baking sheet.
4. Fill each mushroom cap with half of the marinara sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Scatter a few torn basil leaves, or a few oregano leaves, on top. Place back under the broiler until cheese is browned, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving
Total Fat 10.6 g
Saturated Fat 4.4 g
Sodium 374.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 13.4 g