“This is not real pizza!” Declared the younger one, refusing to even try, not even one bite. Us adults and the teenager, however, loved this portobello pizza – delicious, low carb, and very filling. Great as a side dish (one per person) or as a main dish (2 per person) with a big salad.
Stuffed and baked portobello mushrooms can become soggy. To avoid sogginess:
1. Wipe clean, don’t wash them (they absorb water).
2. Pre-broil to release some of the water.
3. In the final stage of baking or broiling, broil or bake briefly, just until topping is browned. Baking too long will result in mushy mushrooms that have released their liquid into your filling. If that happens, the only thing you can do is to carefully drain the liquid, and place the mushrooms on paper towels to soak as much of the liquid as you can.
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
2 large portobello mushroom, wiped clean, stem removed
Olive oil cooking spray (make your own using an oil sprayer)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (no added ingredients, just tomatoes)
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
2oz part-skim Mozzarella, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
4 basil leaves, torn to pieces, or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
1. Preheat broiler, setting temperature to high. Set oven rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Spray the mushroom caps with olive oil spray on both sides. Broil 5 minutes on each side, or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, with a fork, mix together the tomato paste, water, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano, to create a quick, homemade, no-sugar-added tomato sauce.
4. Remove mushrooms from oven, keeping the broiler on. Fill each mushroom cap with half of your homemade pizza sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Scatter a few torn basil leaves, or a few oregano leaves, on top. Place back under the broiler until cheese is browned, 2-3 minutes.
Total Fat 10.6 g
Saturated Fat 4.4 g
Sodium 374.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 13.4 g