These baked zucchini fries are so good, crisp and delicious, I can’t imagine why anyone would want to prepare zucchini any other way. The high-heat baking removes the wateriness and bitterness from the zucchini, the egg white/almond meal coating adds a delightful crunch, and the olive oil/spices add tons of flavor. Delicious!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray them with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise, then cut into ¼-inch-thick fries. Pat dry using paper towels.
- Place the zucchini fries in the bowl with the beaten egg whites to coat.
- Transfer the fries to the bowl with the almond meal mixture. Toss to coat. The almond meal will form into clusters - that’s OK, just make sure it adheres to the fries.
- Arrange the coated zucchini fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, not touching each other. Lightly spray them with olive oil spray.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Carefully turn the fries. Spray again, return to the oven, rotating the cookie sheets, and bake 15 more minutes, until browned and crispy.