An easy oven baked recipe for sticky, saucy, delicious honey teriyaki chicken drumsticks, made with low-sugar teriyaki sauce.
I make these teriyaki chicken drumsticks a lot. They are very easy to make, and everyone likes them – the kids (even the Picky Eater) as well as the adults.
How to make teriyaki chicken drumsticks
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the full details. But you bake the chicken for 45 minutes. Just before it’s done, quickly make the teriyaki sauce (it takes 10 minutes). Brush the chicken with the sauce, and you’re all set!
Low-sugar honey teriyaki sauce
Teriyaki sauce is amazing. But the longer I eat low carb, the more often I find that overly sweet sauces interfere with my enjoyment of meat. And refined sugar is so unhealthy. Hence my desire to come up with a low-sugar teriyaki sauce.
I’m happy to report that I succeeded! These sticky, saucy, delicious teriyaki chicken drumsticks are made with an excellent low-sugar teriyaki sauce (I also use it when making teriyaki wings).
If you give this recipe a try, I don’t think you are going to miss the sugar. This is just as good, and so much healthier.
How to serve teriyaki chicken drumsticks
I usually serve these teriyaki chicken drumsticks on a bed of cauliflower rice. They also go well with roasted broccoli (omitting the Parmesan) – it’s convenient that you can cook both dishes in the same 400-degree oven.
What about leftovers?
I almost never have leftovers when I make teriyaki chicken. We gobble it all up. 🙂 But if you do have leftovers, they keep well for 3-4 days in the fridge, in an airtight container.
They are very tasty cold (try to shred the meat and serve it on a bed of greens for lunch), or gently reheated in the microwave on 50% power.
Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 (4 oz) chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Spray the drumsticks all over with oil. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the drumsticks should be done, prepare the teriyaki glaze: in a small saucepan, whisk together the soy sauce and cornstarch. Add the white wine, honey, minced garlic and minced ginger, whisking to combine. Heat the glaze over medium heat, whisking often, 3-4 minutes, until it thickens into syrup. Remove from heat.
- Remove the baked chicken drumsticks onto a serving platter. Brush with the teriyaki glaze, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.