An easy oven baked recipe for sticky, saucy, delicious honey teriyaki chicken drumsticks, made with low-sugar teriyaki sauce.
I make these teriyaki chicken drumsticks a lot. Everyone likes them – the kids as well as the adults.
Teriyaki sauce is amazing. But the longer I eat low carb, the more often I find that overly sweet sauces interfere with my enjoyment of meat. Hence my desire to come up with a low sugar teriyaki sauce. I’m happy to report that I succeeded!
These sticky, saucy, delicious teriyaki chicken drumsticks are made with an excellent low-sugar teriyaki sauce. If you give this recipe a try, I don’t think you are going to miss the sugar. This is just as good, and so much healthier.
I usually serve these teriyaki chicken drumsticks on a bed of cauliflower rice. They also go well with roasted broccoli (omitting the Parmesan) – it’s convenient that you can cook both dishes in the same 400 degree oven.
If you have leftovers, they keep well for 3-4 days in the fridge. They are tasty cold (try to shred the meat and serve it on a bed of greens for lunch), or gently heated in the microwave on 50% power.
Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 (4 oz) chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Spray the drumsticks all over with oil. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the drumsticks should be done, prepare the teriyaki glaze: in a small saucepan, whisk together the soy sauce and cornstarch. Add the white wine, honey, minced garlic and minced ginger, whisking to combine. Heat the glaze over medium heat, whisking often, 3-4 minutes, until it thickens into syrup. Remove from heat.
- Remove the baked chicken drumsticks onto a serving platter. Brush with the teriyaki glaze, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.