Breakfast doesn’t get much easier than this recipe for microwave scrambled eggs. Mix them in a bowl or a mug, microwave for 1.5 minutes, and breakfast is done!
Microwave scrambled eggs are so easy to make, it’s ridiculous. It’s not that scrambling eggs in a skillet is hard, mind you. Making fluffy scrambled eggs is in fact quite easy.
But making microwave scrambled eggs takes “easy keto breakfast” to a whole new level. It’s faster, and there are less dishes to wash. Just one bowl and a fork. Add some leftover oven baked bacon and you’re all set!
How do you make fluffy scrambled eggs in the microwave?
You do lose some amount of control when making microwave scrambled eggs. Cooking on the stove allows you to cook low and slow, ensuring fluffy and moist eggs.
Microwave scrambled eggs can end up too dry if you’re not careful. So it’s always best to slightly undercook than to overcook them. Remember, you leave them in a hot bowl after they’re done cooking. So they will continue to cook even after you remove them from the microwave.
I add a bit of cream to these microwave scrambled eggs to keep them moist, but you can add water instead if you need this recipe to be dairy free. You can also use whole milk instead of cream.
Don’t skimp on the salt
Scrambled eggs tend to be bland, so don’t skimp on the salt – a full 1/4 teaspoon of salt is perfect, in my opinion, unless you plan on adding cheese, in which case a pinch of salt is enough.
Is it safe to microwave scrambled eggs?
I believe it is. Unlike a whole egg, scrambled eggs shouldn’t explode in the microwave if you cook them in a microwave-safe bowl and don’t overcook them.
As for microwave safety in general, the World Health Organization says that microwaves are safe when used according to manufacturers’ instructions.
Research shows that no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods.
Microwave Scrambled Eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (or water)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- In a small, 1-cup microwave-safe bowl or ramekin, microwave the butter until melted, about 30 seconds. Spread it all over the bowl.
- Break the eggs into the bowl. Add the cream, salt and pepper, and the cayenne if using it. Whisk to combine.
- Microwave the eggs, uncovered, for 45 seconds.
- Gently stir with a fork. If using, stir in the cheese. Microwave until fluffy and set but not completely dry, about 45 more seconds. Serve the microwave scrambled eggs immediately.