An easy recipe for very flavorful coconut curry shrimp. Ready in just 30 minutes, this keto recipe is ideal for a quick weeknight dinner.
It amazes me how easy it is to make this coconut curry shrimp recipe because it’s so very decadently delicious!
Imagine plump, succulent shrimp cooked in a very flavorful, seasoned coconut milk sauce. Now imagine this delightful dish on your table in just 30 minutes!
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty curry (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Canned coconut milk
- Coconut oil
- Onion and garlic
- Kosher salt
- Yellow curry powder
- Raw shrimp
- Fresh basil
How do you make coconut curry shrimp?
Easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Cook aromatics (onion, garlic, and spices) in some oil.
- Add coconut milk.
- Then add shrimp to the tasty sauce and cook them into plump perfection.
This dish is the perfect weeknight dinner. I don’t know about you, but I always have frozen shrimp in my freezer. And I almost always have a can of coconut milk in my pantry.
So when I’m not sure what to make for dinner, this easy recipe is often the perfect answer!
Use full-fat coconut milk
Since coconut milk is such an important part of this dish, it needs to taste good. So make sure you use canned, unsweetened, FULL FAT coconut milk. Light coconut milk is not creamy enough, and it also doesn’t taste very good.
How to serve coconut curry shrimp?
Obviously, and just like any curry, this dish is perfect when served over rice. But for those following a keto or a low-carb diet, it’s just as good over cauliflower rice.
And you can also simply serve it as I do, in bowls with a spoon!
But is this a healthy recipe?
A note on the high saturated fat content of this recipe. Current research seems to say that unless you have a specific issue that requires you to minimize saturated fat, it’s is not as bad as once thought.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Coconut Curry Shrimp
- 1 (13.5 oz can) full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or refined coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1.5 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Shake the coconut milk well. Open the can and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and the kosher salt and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, occasionally stirring gently, until shrimp is pink and opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and serve.