An easy recipe for a very flavorful coconut shrimp curry. Ready in just 30 minutes, this is an ideal recipe for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
It amazes me how easy this coconut shrimp curry is to make because it’s so very decadently delicious!
Imagine plump, succulent shrimp cooked in a very flavorful, seasoned coconut milk sauce. Now imagine this delightful dish on your table in 30 minutes!
How do you make coconut shrimp curry?
Easy! Scroll down to the recipe card. But basically, you cook aromatics (onion, garlic, and spices) in some oil. Add coconut milk. Then add shrimp to this tasty sauce and cook them into plump perfection.
Coconut shrimp curry is the perfect weeknight dinner. I don’t know about you, but I always have frozen shrimp in my freezer. And I almost always have a can of coconut milk in my pantry. So when I’m not sure what to make for dinner, this easy recipe is often the perfect answer!
Since coconut milk is such an important part of this dish, it needs to taste good. So make sure you use canned, unsweetened, FULL FAT coconut milk. Light coconut milk is not very good – and it will ruin this dish.
How to serve coconut shrimp curry?
Obviously, and just like any curry, it’s perfect served over rice. But it’s just as good over cauliflower rice. And you can also simply serve it as I do, in bowls with a spoon.
But is this recipe healthy?
A note on the high saturated fat content of this recipe. I don’t believe that saturated fat is bad. Here’s an interesting editorial from BMJ Journals on the subject. Specifically, coconut milk may have some health benefits.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this coconut shrimp curry in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Coconut Shrimp Curry
- 1 (13.5 oz can) full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or refined coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1.5 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Shake the coconut milk well. Open the can and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and the kosher salt and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, occasionally stirring gently, until shrimp is pink and opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and serve.