Combining two superfoods – dark chocolate and blueberries – these healthy chocolate covered blueberries are a dessert you can feel good about eating.
Look how pretty these chocolate covered blueberries are! I make them with fresh blueberries and with dark (70% cacao) chocolate.
And you can use even darker chocolate if you’d like. I’ve gone up to 90% cacao, adding a bit of honey or stevia. Having one of these with an espresso after my dinner is such a wonderful treat.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need three ingredients to make this tasty treat:
- Dark chocolate
- Coconut oil
- Fresh blueberries
How to make chocolate covered blueberries
It’s such an easy recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. But the basics are simple:
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Add the blueberries.
And that’s it! You’ve got yourself a truly healthy, antioxidant-rich homemade dessert. (Another good one are these super unique and tasty chocolate mint leaves).
Is this a healthy recipe?
Can I use frozen blueberries?
I use fresh blueberries and haven’t experimented with using frozen blueberries. But frozen blueberries are often mushy and not as tasty. So, unfortunately, I can’t recommend using them in these chocolate covered blueberries.
I reserve frozen blueberries for making shakes and smoothies. I don’t like using them in recipes that require whole blueberries.
How to store chocolate covered blueberries
Keep these chocolate covered blueberries keep in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 4-5 days. Once you refrigerate them, it’s important to take them out of the fridge about an hour before you plan on eating them.
I’m sure you already know that chocolate is never very good when refrigerated. It needs to be at room temperature.
Similar recipes you might enjoy
I like to make the same recipe with raspberries. These raspberry chocolate cups are wonderful. And while blueberries are a bit better nutritionally speaking, one must admit that the raspberries are simply gorgeous!
Another good chocolate recipe is this easy recipe for dark chocolate bark. It makes a great hostess gift.
Chocolate Covered Blueberries
- 4 oz fresh blueberries
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate, 70% cocoa (I used Lindt)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Wash the blueberries and place on a clean towel to dry.
- Line four muffin tin cups with paper liners.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place the pieces in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Add the coconut oil.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave: run the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring the chocolate in-between and rotating the measuring cup. Finish when most of the chocolate is melted (mine took 1 minutes). Stir until smooth and fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the paper liners, dividing it evenly. Divide the blueberries between the liners, allowing some to sink into the chocolate and some to remain on top.
- Refrigerate 1 hour prior to serving.