Chocolate covered strawberries – a beautiful, elegant dessert that’s also very healthy, and surprisingly easy to make.
Considering it’s such an elegant dessert, chocolate covered strawberries are surprisingly easy to make. They are easier to make, for example, than cheesecake stuffed strawberries.
In fact, chocolate covered strawberries is one of the desserts I make most often. I consider it very healthy, and I usually enlist the help of my kids. They end up doing most of the work. 😀
Apart from being healthy and easy to make, chocolate covered strawberries are obviously delicious. Strawberries and chocolate is such as classic combination (they’re so good dipped in dark chocolate fondue!). Like chocolate and bananas, or chocolate and peanut butter.
What kind of chocolate do you use for chocolate covered strawberries?
You can use any chocolate – dark, milk or white. But if you make chocolate covered strawberries with dark chocolate, it’s truly as healthy as a dessert can get. I use dark chocolate chips. It’s best to use baking chocolate because it melts well.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave
It’s easy to melt the chocolate in the microwave. Just microwave it in 30 second increments and stir after each microwave session. The chocolate chips won’t completely melt after the last session. But don’t microwave any more or you might burn the chocolate. Just stir the chocolate until completely melted.
Why add oil to the melted chocolate?
The reason for mixing oil into the chocolate is to make it shinier and prettier. And also to make it a bit less brittle when it hardens. This way, it won’t shatter – but will rather melt – as you bite into the chocolate covered strawberries. I use avocado oil because it has a neutral flavor and it’s healthy.
How long can you keep chocolate dipped strawberries?
Leftovers will keep for one, maybe two days at most. But it’s best to eat chocolate covered strawberries on the day you make them or they become mushy.
Chocolate covered strawberries are a classic Valentine’s Day dessert. Which is why I’m publishing this recipe today. But it’s really a wonderful dessert to make all year long. Or at least during strawberry season. Which seems to be all year long here in California!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 8 oz firm strawberries (12 medium strawberries)
- 3 oz dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli 60% dark chocolate chips)*
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Line a plate or a tray with wax paper.
- Wash the strawberries and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, in 30-second increments, stirring after each microwave session. My chocolate chips were mostly melted after three such sessions.
- Stir the oil into the melted chocolate.
- Dip each strawberry into the melted chocolate. Lift up and twist around to get rid of any excess chocolate. Place on the wax paper.
- Chill the strawberries in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.