A truly easy grilled burgers recipe. Mix and form the patties in the morning, refrigerate, and when it’s time for dinner, grill them for 10 minutes. Voila – dinner is ready!
This is a truly easy homemade grilled burger recipe, and it produces reliably juicy burgers.
Burgers are part of my easy-weeknight-dinner repertoire. They are juicy, intensely flavorful, and so easy to make! I mix and form the burger patties in the morning and refrigerate. When it’s time for dinner, I grill them in the grill pan for ten minutes. Voila – dinner is done!
How to grill burgers
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. The basics? Mix a pound of lean ground beef with mustard and spices. Divide into four parts and form them into patties. At this point, you can either grill right away, or refrigerate for a few hours until ready to grill.
What beef to use in grilled burgers
Ideally, you would use fresh ground chuck from your butcher. But let’s be realistic – most of us just grab a vacuum packed block of ground beef when we cook at home. So it’s fine to use that, but do use lean ground beef (85/15). If you use extra lean ground beef your burgers will turn out quite dry and not as flavorful.
How to season grilled burgers?
You can simply season them with salt and pepper. So you could shape the burger patties, then sprinkle them with salt and pepper and grill. But I like to use quite a few seasonings, including Dijon mustard, onion and garlic powders, paprika and cayenne. When I have fresh parsley, I add that too.
Should I make a dimple in the patties?
There’s some controversy on whether one should make a dimple in burgers prior to cooking. I do make a dimple, but it’s completely up to you.
How to serve grilled burgers
Are grilled burgers healthy?
I think they are. Fresh unprocessed meat is very nutritious. I would, however, suggest that you go gentle on charring your grilled burgers. Charred meat does carry some health risks, and although the risk is likely very small, I would still not completely ignore it.
More ground beef recipes
Another favorite ground beef recipe that’s even easier than this grilled burgers recipe is this very tasty ground beef casserole. And baked hamburgers are the easiest – though not the juiciest – way to make burgers.
Easy Hamburger Recipe
- 1 lb. 85/15 ground beef (not leaner)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley)
- Avocado oil spray for grill pan
- In a large bowl, use clean hands to mix together all the ingredients except the oil.
- Form the mixture into four patties, each of them 4 ounces in weight, 4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat a grill or a grill pan on medium-high heat. Lightly spray or brush the grill with oil.
- With your thumb, make a slight depression in the center of each patty, to help the hamburgers cook evenly and maintain their shape.
- Cook the hamburgers, dimpled side up, for 5 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side, about 3 more minutes for medium doneness.
- If you’d like to make cheeseburgers, you can top each burger patty with a slice of your favorite cheese during the last minute of grilling. Cover the grill or the grill pan so that the cheese can melt.