This healthy, keto and gluten-free cream of mushroom soup is made with just a few wholesome ingredients. And it’s so much better than the canned stuff!
If you like mushrooms, you are going to love this delicious, keto and healthy cream of mushroom soup!
It’s silky, creamy, and incredibly flavorful. One of us actually dislikes mushrooms (even these wonderful sauteed mushrooms), but she loves this soup and regularly asks for seconds when I make it.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty soup (exact measurements are included in the recipe card below):
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh Cremini mushrooms
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Dry white wine
- Ground nutmeg
- Heavy cream
How to make healthy keto cream of mushroom soup
It’s such an easy recipe! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by cooking the mushrooms and garlic in butter with some salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the cream.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup, in batches in the food processor or using an immersion blender.
- Stir in the cream, heat and serve.
Is it really healthy?
I believe it is. If you ever looked at the list of ingredients on a can of cream of mushroom soup, you were probably horrified. But there’s really no need to use the canned stuff! This soup is truly easy to make.
Flavored with butter, garlic, and nutmeg, this homemade version is not just delicious, but also healthy. As you probably know, mushrooms are very healthy.
And if you worry about the butter and heavy cream in this recipe, you’ll be happy to learn that full-fat dairy is harmless to healthy people (though admittedly, some experts still urge us to limit butter).
How to serve it?
Is this healthy cream of mushroom soup keto?
It is. It’s actually ideal if you’re on the keto diet since it has no high-carb ingredients – not even onions. So it’s lower in carbs than, for example, another soup that I love – butternut squash soup.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. Gently reheat them, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
You might need to slightly thin the soup out first by mixing in a tablespoon or two of water.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb. fresh cremini mushrooms, wiped clean, quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not fine table salt)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy stockpot over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, the garlic and the salt and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the chicken broth, wine, black pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Turn heat off. Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Or puree in batches in the food processor (you'll need to do this in three or four batches).
- Return to the pot, stir in the cream, and cook over medium heat, just until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.