Tasty and healthy egg stuffed tomatoes are baked in the oven until the tomatoes are just tender and the egg whites are fully cooked. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
These egg stuffed tomatoes are wonderful for brunch. They are tasty, healthy and very pretty.
If you like baked tomatoes, you will love these egg stuffed tomatoes. Not everyone likes the taste and texture of cooked tomatoes – one of my kids will only eat them raw. But I love how cooking enhances the flavor of tomatoes and brings out their sweetness.
Ideally, you should use small eggs when making egg stuffed tomatoes, to ensure that the entire egg fits inside the tomato half. However, small eggs are fairly difficult to find these days – the standard seems to be large eggs. So simply break the eggs into a small bowl, and carefully discard some of the egg whites.
What about leftovers? I actually had leftovers of these egg stuffed tomatoes once, when I doubled the recipe. Happily, leftovers keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days, and they are very tasty after a gentle reheat in the microwave.
Tasty egg stuffed tomatoes are baked in the oven. Great for breakfast!
- 2 large, firm tomatoes
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 small eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Cut a tiny sliver from the bottom of each half, so that the tomatoes can stand upright without wobbling. Carefully scoop the seeds and pulp out with a spoon. You can run a sharp knife around the pulp to loosen it if needed.
- Spray the hollowed tomatoes all over with olive oil. Place them on a baking dish, cut side up. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme.
- Break each egg into a small ramekin, then slide it into a tomato half. If your eggs are large, you’ll need to discard some of the egg whites, to enable the eggs to fit inside the tomatoes.
- Top the tomato halves with the Parmesan, 1 tablespoon for each tomato half.
- Bake the egg stuffed tomatoes until egg whites are set, about 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.