An easy recipe for smoked salmon mousse made with cream cheese and served on cucumber slices. It’s an easy recipe that produces impressive results.
Smoked salmon is a delicacy, and smoked salmon mousse is even better. The cream cheese mitigates the intense saltiness of the smoked fish and adds wonderful creaminess. It’s one of those dishes that your guests will thoroughly admire, not realizing how easy it is to make.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need four simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Smoked salmon
- Cream cheese
- Fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
There’s no need to add salt to this mousse. The smoked fish has plenty of salt.
How to make a smoked salmon mousse
It couldn’t be easier! Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. The basic steps? You simply add the four ingredients to your food processor’s bowl, and process until smooth. That’s it!
How to serve smoked salmon mousse
If you want to get fancy, use a pastry bag to pipe the mousse on cucumber slices, as shown in the video below. Or cut the corner of a Ziploc bag and use that to pipe the mousse.
Can I use full-fat cream cheese in this recipe?
Yes, you can. I do find that full-fat cream cheese is sometimes a bit too dense. But if you soften it in the microwave, it should be OK.
Is smoked salmon healthy?
It’s not as healthy as fresh fish such as baked salmon. According to Harvard Medical School experts, smoked fish can be a decent source of omega-3 fats. But it is an “awfully salty way” to get them. Their recommendation is to enjoy it only on occasion.
How long can I keep smoked salmon mousse?
You can keep it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. It’s a good idea to remove it from the fridge 20 minutes or so before you plan on enjoying it.
More tasty salmon recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Smoked Salmon Mousse
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 8 oz neufchâtel cheese (or reduced fat cream cheese), softened 30 seconds in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 cucumber slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives for garnish
- Place the salmon, cream cheese, lemon juice, and black pepper in your food processor bowl and process until smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping twice to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the mousse to a pretty serving bowl and serve with cut up veggies.
- Or transfer the salmon mousse to a pastry bag and pipe onto cucumber slices, as shown in the video. Garnish with chopped chives.