An easy recipe for smoked salmon mousse made with cream cheese and served on cucumber slices. It’s an easy recipe that produces impressive results.
Smoked salmon is a delicacy, and smoked salmon mousse is even better. The cream cheese mitigates the smoked salmon’s intense saltiness and adds wonderful creaminess. It’s one of those dishes that your guests will thoroughly admire, not realizing how easy it is to make.
How to make smoked salmon mousse
It couldn’t be easier! Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. But you simply add the four ingredients (smoked salmon, cream cheese, lemon juice, and black pepper) to your food processor’s bowl, and process. That’s it!
How to serve smoked salmon mousse
If you want to get fancy, use a pastry bag to pipe the mousse on cucumber slices, as shown in the video below. Or cut the corner of a Ziploc bag and use that to pipe the mousse.
Can I use full-fat cream cheese in this recipe?
Yes, you can. I do find that full-fat cream cheese is sometimes a bit too dense. But if you soften it in the microwave, it should be OK.
Is smoked salmon healthy?
The concerns surrounding it are mostly about the curing process, its high sodium content, and the fact that cold-smoked salmon is not fully cooked.
As always, you should do your own research and reach your own conclusions. You know your particular health status. My personal choice, as a generally healthy person, is to enjoy smoked salmon mousse in moderation. I don’t eat it every day. And when I do, it’s not in large quantities.
How long can I keep smoked salmon mousse?
You can keep it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days.
More tasty salmon recipes
This canned salmon mousse recipe is similar to this one, but it uses canned salmon. It’s excellent, although I do think the smoked salmon mousse is more flavorful. And these salmon cakes are delicious and very easy to make. They’re perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Smoked Salmon Mousse
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 8 oz neufchâtel cheese (or reduced fat cream cheese), softened 30 seconds in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 cucumber slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives for garnish
- Place the salmon, cream cheese, lemon juice, and black pepper in your food processor bowl and process until smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping twice to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the mousse to a pretty serving bowl and serve with cut up veggies.
- Or transfer the salmon mousse to a pastry bag and pipe onto cucumber slices, as shown in the video. Garnish with chopped chives.