These baked onions are savory, creamy and cheesy. They make an excellent side dish to grilled meat.
Creamy Baked Onions
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Sides, Gluten-Free, Primal
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 large onions (8 oz each without refuse)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and trim the roots of the onions but leave them whole.
- Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water for 30 minutes, until tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove them to a plate.
- Whisk the cream with the salt, pepper and thyme.
- When the onions are cool enough to handle, slice each in half through the root. Place the onion halves, cut side down, in a small baking dish with the bay leaves. Pour the cream over the onions, sprinkle them with the Parmesan, and bake for 30 minutes, until golden.
Adapted from BBC Good Food.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 199; Fat: 12g; Carbohydrates: 20g; Sodium: 344mg; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 4g