Check out my healthy Thanksgiving recipes!
This 90 second bread is keto, low carb and gluten free. It has a lovely spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam.
This 90 second bread, a low carb microwave bread made with coconut flour, is a compromise. It’s not true bread, of course – it’s soft and a little eggy.
But if you’re trying to control your carbs, or need to avoid gluten, this microwave bread adds a nice variety to breakfast and lunch.
The 90 second bread has about 200 calories and 3 grams net carbs (5 grams carbs minus 2 grams fiber). It is ready in less than five minutes (including measuring and mixing the batter), and has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam.
It’s also good topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or with mustard and ham.
Toasting the 90 second bread in a buttered skillet improves its flavor and texture, but is not mandatory. Usually I don’t bother.
This recipe calls for kosher salt. If you use a finer salt, such as sea salt, you might want to reduce the amount to 1/8 teaspoon. Experiment and see what works for you.
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make this bread:
90 Second Bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder*
- In a small microwave safe bowl (mine measures 3 inches on the bottom and 3.5 inches at the top), melt the butter in the microwave.
- Allow the melted butter to slightly cool, then mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Microwave the mixture on high for 90 seconds. Bread will puff up while "baking," then slightly deflate. When done, it will look like a muffin. Make sure it appears set, otherwise microwave 10-20 more seconds (but 90 seconds should be enough, and overcooking can dry it up).
- Gently, with a paring knife, loosen the bread edges and remove from the bowl onto a plate.
- Slice the 90 second bread crosswise into two slices and top with your favorite toppings.