An easy and tasty recipe for cauliflower rice that you can play with and adjust to your liking. It truly is a wonderful substitute for white rice!
Cauliflower rice is a paleo and low carb rice substitute. When I first started making this recipe, back in 2013, we had to rice our own cauliflower in the food processor. Fast forward a few years, and you can now buy bags of riced cauliflower at the grocery store. Very cool.
I still provide the original directions here, for those who can’t find riced cauliflower in their store.
Cauliflower rice is not just delicious, but also very similar in its mouthfeel and texture to white rice, especially when well-seasoned.
Here, I seasoned the cauliflower rice with olive oil, garlic, butter and Parmesan, but the options are endless.
You could use olive oil, garlic, paprika and cumin; or sauté an onion, then add the garlic, and the riced cauliflower with curry powder and maybe a little coconut milk.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Trim the cauliflower and coarsely chop. Place the chopped cauliflower in food processor and process, in a few batches if needed, until it has the texture of rice.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower and the salt and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in the butter and Parmesan, season with freshly ground black pepper, and serve.