An easy recipe for very flavorful Chinese beef stir fry, the ultimate healthy weeknight dinner because it’s ready so fast.
I love making this quick and easy Chinese beef stir fry. Beef, onions and bell peppers are quickly cooked, then flavored with a simple soy sauce marinade.
Sesame oil and sesame seeds finish the dish, rounding out the flavors and enhancing the presentation.
This is a quick recipe!
Once you have everything prepped, the cooking itself is a matter of minutes. So you should definitely prep everything in advance! Slice the vegetables, mix the sauce – because once you start cooking, you won’t have time for any prep work.
How do you make stir fry beef tender?
The best way to tenderize meat is with a marinade that contains vinegar. But if you use sirloin strips, in my experience the beef comes out tender enough. So I don’t bother with marinating it.
What sauce goes with beef stir fry?
In this recipe, I use a simple sauce made of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and honey. The dish itself is flavored with garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full recipe.
How to serve this dish?
Is this a healthy recipe?
Despite the addition of honey, this dish is quite low in carbs. But if you want it to be pure keto, you can omit the honey, or replace it with a low carb alternative.
And if you want it to be paleo, or if you must follow a gluten-free diet, use a paleo substitute for the soy sauce. You can also use potato starch or konjac flour instead of cornstarch if you wish.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this beef stir-fry in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Beef Stir Fry
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce ((or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey, or a low carb alternative
- 1 teaspoon organic cornstarch, (or a paleo alternative)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1.5 lb. sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and stir fry 2 minutes, just until no longer raw. Remove to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- To the same skillet, add the remaining oil, then add the onions and bell peppers and stir-fry until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and snow peas. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Lower heat to medium if the pan gets too hot at this point.
- Mix the sauce again, then add it. Add back the beef. Stir fry until everything is well coated and the sauce slightly thickens, 1 morte minute.
- Transfer the beef stir fry to a serving platter or bowl. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.