This low-carb microwave bread is a compromise. It’s not true bread, of course – it’s soft and a little eggy. But if you’re trying to control your carbs, or need to avoid gluten, this microwave bread adds a nice variety to breakfast and lunch. The “bread” is ready in less than five minutes, and has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam. It’s also good topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or with mustard and ham.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix the ingredients until very smooth.
- Using a spatula, transfer to a small pyrex bowl (mine measures 2 inches on the bottom and 4 inches at the top).
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Bread will puff up while "baking," then deflate. When done, it will look like a muffin. Make sure it appears set, otherwise microwave 30 more seconds (but 90 seconds should be enough, and overcooking can dry it up).
- Gently, with a small knife, loosen the bread edges and remove from the bowl onto a plate. Slice into two slices and top with your favorite toppings.