Low carb keto avocado toast is delicious, filling and very versatile – enjoy this recipe for breakfast, lunch, snack or even dinner.
My teenage kids tell me that avocado toast is the invention of millennials. Perhaps, but even midlife palettes find it quite delicious.
However, I had to come up with a keto and low carb version before my husband and I could partake.
What can you use instead of toast?
Avocado toast is very tasty. But can you create a keto, low carb version? Wondered my husband.
Challenge accepted! I used my trusted recipe for 90-second bread. It’s a super quick bread that you quickly mix in a bowl, then microwave for 90 seconds.
After toasting it in a greased skillet, it’s delicious, and can be used as the perfect low carb base for this recipe.
To make my life easy, I used store-bought guacamole when making this recipe.
But you can certainly mash a fresh ripe avocado with some seasonings if you prefer. Or simply slice the avocado and season with salt and pepper.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- garlic powder
- Olive oil spray
- Guacamole or mashed avocado
How to make keto avocado toast
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by making the 90-second keto bread. You simply mix the ingredients in a ramekin and “bake” it in the microwave.
- Fry the eggs and toast the bread. You can do it in the same large skillet.
- Assemble the sandwich and serve!
Is avocado toast healthy?
But if you’re on a low carb or keto diet, or if you need to (or prefer to) avoid wheat and grains, then this keto version is a great solution.
How to serve low carb keto avocado toast?
I think it’s perfect anytime. It makes a tasty, filling breakfast, a wonderful snack, or you could even make two of them for a meatless dinner.
Can you make it ahead?
Unfortunately, this is a dish that you can’t successfully make ahead. None of the ingredients – the bread, the avocado and the egg – is going to do too well if stored, even just for a few hours.
More low carb recipes with 90 second bread and/or avocado
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Low Carb Keto Avocado Toast
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup prepared guacamole, or mashed avocado with a dash of salt and pepper
- Make the bread: place a tablespoon of butter in a microwave safe cereal bowl (bottom should measure about 3 inches). Microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Allow to slightly cool. Using a fork, mix in one egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder if you wish). Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Allow to slightly cool, then carefully slice into two slices.
- Cook the eggs and toast the bread: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Break two egg into the skillet (use greased round egg molds if you want a round shape). Cook until done to your liking. Add the two slices of bread as well, lightly browning them on each side.
- Assemble the avocado toast: Place the two slices of bread on a plate. Top each slice with 1/4 cup mashed avocado and a fried egg. Serve immediately.