Keto avocado toast is delicious, filling and very versatile. Enjoy this recipe for breakfast, lunch, snack, or even dinner.
My teenage kids tell me that avocado toast is the invention of millennials. Perhaps, but even midlife palettes find it quite delicious. 🥑
However, I had to come up with a keto and low carb version before my husband and I could partake.
What to use instead of toast
Avocado toast is very tasty. But can you create a keto, low carb version? Wondered my husband.
Challenge accepted! For the bread, I used my trusted recipe for 90-second bread. It's a super quick bread that you quickly mix in a bowl, then microwave for 90 seconds.
After toasting it in a greased skillet, it's delicious, and can be used as the perfect low carb base for this recipe.
To make my life easy, I like to use store-bought guacamole when making this recipe. But you can certainly mash a fresh ripe avocado with some seasonings if you prefer. Or simply slice the avocado and season it with salt and pepper. Either way, it will be a tasty addition to your toast.
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Butter: I use salted butter in this recipe. And I admit I'm partial to creamy European butter. But any butter will be great.
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Coconut flour: An excellent flour substitute that baked very well once you get the ratios right. Try to measure it by weight if you can. It's very absorbent, so each extra gram can make a big difference.
Baking powder: Make sure it's fresh. And - if needed - also verify that it's gluten-free.
Garlic powder: I add it to the bread to make it more flavorful. It's an optional ingredient, but it's very good.
Olive oil spray: For cooking the eggs. You can use butter if you'd like.
Guacamole: I'm lazy so I use prepared guacamole. You can also simply mash some avocado with salt and pepper.
How to make keto avocado toast
It's so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
Make the keto bread. Start by making the 90-second keto bread. You simply mix the ingredients in a ramekin and "bake" it in the microwave.
Assemble the sandwich and serve!
How to serve it?
I think it's perfect anytime! It makes a tasty, filling breakfast, a wonderful snack, or you could even make two of them for a filling and very satisfying meatless dinner.
Can you make it ahead?
Unfortunately, keto avocado toast is a dish that you can't successfully make ahead. None of the ingredients - the bread, the avocado and the egg - is going to do too well if stored, even just for a few hours.
More keto recipes with 90 second bread and/or avocado
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Avocado Toast
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup prepared guacamole, or mashed avocado with a dash of salt and pepper
- Make the bread: place a tablespoon of butter in a microwave safe cereal bowl (bottom should measure about 3 inches). Microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Allow to slightly cool. Using a fork, mix in one egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour and ¼ teaspoon baking powder (add ¼ teaspoon garlic powder if you wish). Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Allow to slightly cool, then carefully slice into two slices.
- Cook the eggs and toast the bread: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Break two egg into the skillet (use greased round egg molds if you want a round shape). Cook until done to your liking. Add the two slices of bread as well, lightly browning them on each side.
- Assemble the avocado toast: Place the two slices of bread on a plate. Top each slice with ¼ cup mashed avocado and a fried egg. Serve immediately.