Steaming carrots is, by far, my favorite way of enjoying them. I like to steam carrots until just tender, but still firm – never soft or mushy. A sprinkle of kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and a squirt of fresh lemon juice are all it takes to dress these delicious, simply prepared steamed carrots.
- 8 large carrots
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Start boiling the water for the steamer.
- Peel the carrots, cut off the ends, cut them in half crosswise and then cut the fat halves in half lengthwise. Your goal is to achieve fairly equal-sized chunks of carrot.
- When water boils, place the prepared carrots in the steamer basket. Cover and steam about 15 minutes, until just tender - check with a fork, and start checking after 10 minutes.
- Remove the carrots from the steamer onto a serving plate, squirt with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.