Spicy deviled eggs are an awesome keto appetizer. Made with avocado oil mayo, Dijon, hot sauce and jalapeno, they are delicious – and healthy.
I think I could eat these spicy deviled eggs every single day and never tire of them! They are so delicious, and the extra heat really enhances the experience.
Discovering deviled eggs
I still remember the first time I tasted this appetizer. It was years ago when I was a young child. I loved hard-boiled eggs back then (I still do). But the taste of deviled eggs took me by surprise.
Sure, they were hard-boiled eggs, but they were incredibly creamy and flavorful. This was a delicacy. Just like tasting butter at my grandparents’ house after being accustomed to margarine at my parents’ house, or tasting canned salmon after being used to canned tuna, this was one of those “once you try, you can’t go back” experiences.
To this day, they are one of my favorite appetizers. And this recipe is especially good. The eggs have this wonderful kick from the hot pepper sauce and the cayenne, and the jalapeno peppers add some great crunch.
A great low carb and keto food
Happily, even after transitioning to a low carb diet, this is one childhood favorite I don’t have to give up! These delicious spicy deviled eggs are keto and low carb.
They are also made with just a few wholesome ingredients. Including avocado oil mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and fresh jalapenos. Eggs are healthy, so I definitely consider this recipe as not just tasty and low carb, but also good for you.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty appetizer (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Jalapeño peppers.
- Hard-boiled eggs.
- Dijon mustard: it’s creamier and less vinegary than yellow mustard.
- Hot pepper sauce.
- Kosher salt: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use.
- Spices: Garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.
Make these spicy deviled eggs spicy or mild
Not really into spicy foods? You can make this recipe as spicy or as mild as you like. For milder eggs, omit the cayenne pepper.
For spicier eggs, increase the cayenne to 1/4 teaspoon. And by the way, if you prefer not to use mayonnaise, you can use sour cream instead.
How to make spicy deviled eggs
It’s ridiculously easy! The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Seed the jalapeños and slice them. Use gloves, or wash your hands well after you handle them.
- Slice each egg in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks, mash them, and mix them with the remaining ingredients (except for the jalapeños and the paprikas).
- Spoon the creamy yolk mixture back into the egg whites. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and top with the jalapeño slices.
Can you make spicy deviled eggs ahead of time?
Yes, you can. You can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. But they are best when freshly made.
More tasty recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Spicy Deviled Eggs
- Seed the jalapenos as shown in the video below. Slice into thin slices (you’ll need a total of 16 slices). Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each egg in half lengthwise. Gently remove the yolks and place in a medium bowl. Arrange the egg white halves on a serving plate.
- Mash the yolks well with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, Dijon, hot sauce, kosher salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Mix well, until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Sprinkle with smoked paprika. Top each egg half with a jalapeno slice. Serve.