Stuffed jalapenos are addictive! An easy keto recipe, the combination of jalapenos, bacon and smoked cheddar in these jalapeno poppers is amazing.
Stuffed jalapenos are one of my favorite keto snacks. The combination of the smoky bacon, the spicy jalapenos, and the melty gooey cheesy filling is so good in these jalapeno poppers. And the added bonus: jalapenos are very healthy!
How to make stuffed jalapenos
In this easy version of stuffed jalapenos, the jalapenos are stuffed with smoked cheddar, wrapped in bacon, and baked into melty perfection. It’s a truly easy recipe. Baking is so much easier than deep frying. And obviously, it’s healthier too.
I like to stuff the jalapenos with smoked cheddar. The smoked cheese adds a layer of really interesting flavor to this dish. But regular sharp cheddar would work too, as would smoked gouda.
Are stuffed jalapenos spicy?
An addictive snack, these keto jalapeno poppers are quite spicy, so should only be served to those who like and can handle spicy foods.
How to serve stuffed jalapenos
Traditionally served as an appetizer or a party snack, I sometimes make these stuffed jalapenos as a side dish. They go really well with cheese stuffed meatballs, and I can bake both in the same 400-degree oven.
What about leftovers?
I never really have leftovers when I make this tasty dish! But leftover stuffed jalapenos should keep in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. You can gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power. Or heat them up in a 350F oven for 10 minutes or so.
But bacon is unhealthy?
These jalapeno poppers are wrapped in bacon. It’s true that processed meats have been linked to disease. And while the actual risk is very small, and the research inconclusive, I don’t think we should ignore that research completely, even though some say we should. My own personal choice is to consume processed meats in moderation.
More tasty stuffed peppers recipes
Mini bell peppers are also great when stuffed, and they’re perfect for those who prefer their food mild rather than spicy. I have two versions that I really like: pizza stuffed mini peppers, and goat cheese stuffed mini peppers.
Baked Jalapeño Poppers
- Olive oil spray
- 4 oz smoked cheddar
- 12 medium jalapeño peppers
- 12 bacon slices, halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and fit it with a wire rack. Lightly spray the rack with olive oil.
- Halve the jalapenos lengthwise and seed them (here's a good tip on how to do it if you don't have gloves).
- Cut the cheddar into 24 strips and use them to stuff the seeded jalapeño halves.
- Wrap the bacon pieces around the jalapeños. Arrange, cheese side up, on the wire rack. Lightly spray the jalapenos with olive oil.
- Bake until cheese is melted and lightly browned and bacon is crisp, about 25 minutes. Serve the baked jalapeno poppers immediately and watch them disappear in minutes!