Delightfully crispy and wonderfully flavorful, these baked parmesan crisps are the ultimate keto and low-carb snack.
They are so good, that everyone loves them, regardless of their way of eating. And the best part? They are VERY easy to make, and they're ready in about 20 minutes.
These parmesan crisps are AMAZING. They are way better than any commercial cheese crackers that I have ever tried. I just love them. They are so very flavorful!
The thing is, when cheese crackers are made with flour, the flour dilutes the cheese flavor. But when they contain just ONE ingredient, which is (you guessed it!) parmesan, the flavor is incredible.
Since they are so good, you don't even need to be on the keto diet to enjoy these tasty crisps. Yes, they are the perfect keto snack - but I happen to think they are the perfect snack, period.
In fact, when I host friends and serve several types of snacks and appetizers with our pre-dinner cocktails, they are usually the first to disappear.
That's the beauty of this recipe. You only need one ingredient to make it: shredded parmesan.
Please make sure you use coarsely shredded parmesan and not finely grated parmesan. There's a difference.
As you can see in the photos and in the video, I sometimes add a single pepperoni slice to each of these crisps. This is completely optional.
And although the pepperoni adds great flavor, I think I like the plain crisps better, because they are crispier. The pepperoni seems to somewhat interfere with the crisping up of the center of the cracker.
Making homemade parmesan crisps is so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You start by lining a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and preheating your oven to 350°F. The parchment paper is non-negotiable. It's necessary to prevent sticking.
- Now, grab a measuring tablespoon and scoop out small mounds of shredded parmesan onto the baking sheet. Make sure to keep them about an inch apart, and try to keep them about the same size.
- Gently flatten the mounds with your fingers. At this point, I sometimes top half of them with pepperoni. As mentioned above, this is purely optional.
- Bake them until they are browned and crisp, 10-12 minutes. Let them cool for a minute on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a cooling rack and let them cool for five more minutes before enjoying them.
- You should cool them completely before storing them.
Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper is a must to avoid sticking and ensure you can easily release the crisps from the pan after baking them.
Frequently asked questions
You can enjoy them plain, use them with dips such as salsa or guacamole, add them to salads, or use them as crackers (try them with some cream cheese and smoked salmon! Amazing).
I don't refrigerate the plain ones, but I do refrigerate the ones with pepperoni.
Yes, you can freeze these crisps in freezer bags. While they will be kept from spoiling, their texture will be affected by freezing and they won't be as crispy. So it's best to enjoy them while they are fresh.
I love this recipe as is and almost always make it as written. But in case you'd like to vary the basic recipe, here are a few ideas for you:
- Use jalapeno slices instead of pepperoni.
- Sprinkle the crisps with a small amount of dried oregano and red pepper flakes before baking them.
- Pecorino Romano and Grana Padano are two good substitutes for Parmesan.
These tasty crisps are perfect on their own, and that's how I typically enjoy them. But if you'd like to dip them into something, here are a few tasty options:
- A low-sugar pizza sauce such as Rao's.
- Greek yogurt dip which you can also make with sour cream.
- A spicy chipotle dip like the one I use with these avocado fries.
- Ranch dressing - this homemade dressing is really good!
- Pesto sauce, whether homemade or store-bought.
Once completely cooled, you can store the plain parmesan crisps in a storage bag or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. They will, unfortunately, lose some of their crunchiness, but they will still be very good.
The ones with the pepperoni are best kept in a storage bag or in an airtight container in the fridge. I reheat them very briefly in the microwave, 5 seconds per crisp at 50% power.
- 12 tablespoons parmesan cheese shredded
- 6 pieces uncured turkey pepperoni (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop out small mounds of the cheese onto the baking sheet. Keep them about an inch apart.
- Gently flatten the mounds with your fingers.
- If you'd like, you can top half of the mounds with pepperoni.
- Bake until browned and crisp, 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool for a minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for five more minutes before enjoying.
- Cool completely before storing.
WATCH THE VIDEO:
ADD YOUR OWN NOTES
NUTRITION PER SERVING
❤️ Let's connect! Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, or Twitter.