Wonderfully chunky no bean chili is ready in 30 minutes, and it’s as flavorful as if you’ve cooked it for hours! Keto/ low carb option included.
This no bean chili is such an amazing comfort food. It’s tasty, hearty, and very filling. The best part: this no bean chili recipe is super easy. It’s ready in just 30 minutes!
My late father in law, Yoav, used to make amazing chili. He would make a huge pot of it, and we would all rave about how good it was, and how it became even better the next day. His chili did contain beans, and it was delicious.
So, does real chili have beans? Some say that real chili is made without beans, some say it’s made with beans:
I actually like both versions, but for anyone who prefers to avoid beans (such as anyone on a keto or paleo diet), this no bean chili is obviously the better choice.
While I realize that chili is supposed to be cooked lovingly for at least an hour over low heat, I’m way too impatient for that, so my no bean chili is ready in 30 minutes – and it’s intensely flavorful and absolutely delicious. If anything, the meat is juicier because of the shorter cooking time.
If you need this recipe to be keto/ low carb, you can make a few adjustments to lower the carb content. A small onion and less tomatoes will significantly reduce the carb count. Detailed instructions and nutrition info for the keto option are below, in the recipe notes.
No Bean Chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 (6 oz can) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (8 oz)
- 2 medium bell peppers - red, green, or one of each, chopped (10 oz total)
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes, no salt added, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, with a fork, mix together the seasoning ingredients to create a thick paste.
- Heat the the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, bell peppers, beef and one teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring to break up the meat, about 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and meat is browned.
- Add the seasoning mixture (use a small spatula to scrape it off the bowl) and cook, stirring to mix it into the beef and vegetables, one more minute.
- Add the beef stock, tomatoes, bay leaf, the remaining salt and the black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish the no bean chili with your favorite toppings, such as red onions, scallions, sour cream, shredded cheddar and guacamole.