Low-carb and keto cheese chips are made with mozzarella and flavored with garlic and oregano. They are so delicious, on their own or dipped in marinara sauce.
No more excuses! You CAN enjoy delicious crunchy snacks on the keto diet. So instead of reaching out for some ultra-processed starchy snack, let's devote just 20 minutes to making these delicious chips.
When you're craving something tasty and crunchy but not starchy, these oven-baked keto cheese chips (a.k.a crisps) are the perfect solution. This particular version is made with mozzarella and oregano. It tastes like pizza! 🍕
Missing crunchy snacks on the keto diet?
These crisps are a godsend when you're on a low-carb diet and sorely missing some delicious crunch.
It's not that you can't eat crunchy stuff on a low carb diet. There are actually quite a few options!
Still, sometimes you want to snack on something flavorful and crunchy. And your options on a keto diet ARE somewhat limited.
I've been making keto cheese crackers for a long time now. They are wonderful, but today I felt like changing it up some more.
So when making these keto cheese chips, I used mozzarella instead of cheddar. And I seasoned the mozzarella with garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
They turned out superb! They are super crispy. And they have this amazing pizza-like flavor that we all loved.
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty keto snack (this is just an overview - the exact measurements are included in the recipe card below):
Shredded mozzarella: I use part-skim shredded mozzarella. I don't recommend using low-fat cheese in this recipe (or in any recipe!). Another option is to use one of those bags of "Italian mix" shredded cheese.
Spices: I like to use garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes. Do make sure the spices you use are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish, and I'm speaking from experience here...
How to make keto cheese chips
It's so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to drop a tablespoon of shredded cheese into eight mounds on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Gently flatten the mounds with your hands.
2. The next step is to sprinkle the cheese piles with the spices.
3. Now bake the cheesy mounds until crisp and browned. This should take bout 15 minutes in a 375F oven. But as you know, ovens vary... so start checking after about 12 minutes.
4. Cool the chips briefly before enjoying them. They crisp up as they cool.
How to enjoy them
These tasty chips are absolutely wonderful on their own, and that's how I usually enjoy them. They are also very good dipped in sugar-free marinara sauce (Rao's is a good brand), and we also tried them dipped in sour cream, which was also very tasty.
How to store keto cheese chips
Once completely cooled, you can store them in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days. They do tend to lose some of their crispiness when stored, so it's best to eat them freshly baked.
This is the only disadvantage of homemade crispy snacks - they don't retain their crispiness as well as commercially prepared snacks.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Cheese Chips
- 8 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella (½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop a tablespoon of shredded cheese into eight mounds on the cookie sheet, spaced 2 inches apart. Gently flatten the cheese mounds.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese mounds with the garlic powder, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Bake until edges are browned, around 15 minutes. I like to bake them very crisp, until edges are deep brown. How dark you want these low carb cheese crisps is up to you, but start checking after 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Let the cheese crackers cool and crisp up, still on the cookie sheet, for about 10 minutes before serving.