A delicious and filling low carb and keto breakfast sandwich that really hits the spot when you miss “the way you used to eat.”
When we start a low-carb diet, we don’t NEED bread, even keto bread. The ideal low-carb diet does not rely on low-carb substitutions to high-carb food.
A proper low carb or keto diet should rely on real food. Meat, fish, eggs, aged cheeses, nuts, fats, low-starch vegetables, and low-sugar fruit.
But sometimes you miss the old favorites!
And when you do, it’s so much better to come up with a keto alternative than to go for the high carb junk. And thankfully, this low carb and keto breakfast sandwich really hits the spot whenever I miss “the way I used to eat.”
I make this recipe with 90-second bread. It’s so wonderfully versatile, that I use it whenever I want a bread substitute. It’s much easier to make than cloud bread, another low carb bread substitute, which is also very good, but more labor-intensive.
I make this sandwich once in a while, mostly on weekends. It’s very good – delicious, substantial and filling. Breakfast may not be the most important meal of the day, but it’s my favorite meal. Low carb or not, I like to make it good!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty keto breakfast sandwich. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
For the bread
- Butter: I use salted butter in this recipe. You can use unsalted butter and add a pinch of salt.
- Egg: I use large eggs in almost all my recipes.
- Coconut flour: An excellent flour substitute. Try to measure it by weight and not by volume. It’s extremely absorbent, so each extra gram makes a difference.
- Baking powder: Make sure it’s fresh. And if you need it to be gluten-free, verify that as well.
For the sandwich:
- Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this flavorful oil, but if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
- Egg: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
- A slice of cheese: I like to use sharp cheddar.
- A slice of deli ham: A thick slice works best in this recipe.
How to make a low carb Keto breakfast sandwich
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
Make the keto bread. Melt the butter, mix in the remaining bread ingredients, and microwave for 90 seconds. Let the bread slightly cool, then slice it into two slices.
Grease a nonstick skillet, heat it, and use it to cook the egg and toast the bread slices.
Assemble the sandwich! A slice of bread, topped with cheese, ham, egg, and then the second slice of bread.
Tips for making this recipe a success
For this recipe, I make the 90-second keto bread in a slightly larger bowl (3 or 4 inches on the bottom). This ensures large enough bread slices to accommodate the filling. Although it also means thinner bread slices.
When I feel like splurging, I make two keto breads. I then use one as the bottom layer and one as the top layer of the sandwich.
So rather than make one 90-second bread and slice it into two thin slices, I make two breads. This gives me a thick, very substantial (and 700-calories worth but who’s counting) sandwich.
Since the bread is a bit eggy and spongy, I go through the extra step of toasting it in a greased skillet. It really does make a difference!
Although on particularly lazy mornings I make this keto breakfast sandwich without toasting the bread and it is still very good.
Is this a make-ahead recipe?
It’s possible to make this sandwich the night before, wrap it and refrigerate it, then microwave it in the morning.
But it’s not as good as when made fresh. That’s why I mostly make it on weekends when I have more time in the morning.
Reviews of this keto breakfast sandwich
When Daria posted this beautiful photo of her own creation on Instagram, I immediately asked for her permission to share it here, and she gracefully agreed. I think it looks absolutely scrumptious! Daria says:
Low Carb Breakfast Sandwich is so delicious, easy, and versatile! It can really be made with any protein and any kind of cheese. This felt like a real treat to have for a Tuesday morning breakfast! I absolutely loved it.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Breakfast Sandwich
For the bread:
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the sandwich:
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 1 slice deli ham
- Make the bread: place a tablespoon of butter in a microwave safe cereal bowl (bottom should measure about 3 inches). Microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Allow to slightly cool. Using a fork, mix in one egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Allow to slightly cool, then carefully slice into two slices.
- Cook the egg and toast the bread: Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Break one egg into the skillet (use a greased round egg mold if you want a round shape). Cook on both sides until done to your liking. Add the two slices of bread as well, lightly browning them on each side.
- Assemble the breakfast sandwich: Place one slice of bread on a plate. Top with a slice of cheese, a slice of ham, and the fried egg. Place the second slice of bread on top. Serve immediately.