Delicious leftover turkey stir fry coats the turkey with a delightful Asian style sauce. Boring leftover turkey is thus transformed into a new, fabulous dish!
This leftover turkey stir fry is one of my most requested leftover turkey recipes. All my family members love it! And I love the way leftover turkey forces me to be creative.
Back when I didn’t mind bread, it was easy! Turkey salad on bread, turkey quesadillas, turkey paninis, enchiladas and even leftover turkey pizza were the obvious solution.
Now that I’m trying to minimize bread and grains, things have become more challenging – and more interesting.
This delicious leftover turkey stir fry coats the leftover turkey with a very flavorful Asian-style sauce. With the addition of sauteed onions, garlic, ginger and vegetables, the boring turkey is transformed into a completely new, very tasty dish.
Another plus: this leftover turkey stir fry is ready fast, especially if you use frozen, pre-chopped vegetables.
An important tip when making leftover turkey stir fry is to cook it minimally. After all, the meat is already cooked and you don’t want to dry it out. So at the last step, when you add the meat, defrosted veggies and sauce to the skillet, really do cook the whole thing no more than the time it takes to heat through. That’s about 2 minutes.
Can you keep leftovers? You could. But since you’re making this stir fry with leftover meat, you should take into account how much time that meat has already spent in the fridge. Cooked poultry is safe refrigerated for no longer than 3-4 days.
Leftover Turkey Stir Fry
- 1 lb. leftover white turkey meat, skinless (dark meat is fine too)
- 1 lb. package frozen chopped vegetables (I used a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
- 3 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Slice the turkey meat into strips. Set aside.
- Place the frozen vegetables in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and microwave 3 minutes. Stir, cover again, and microwave 2 more minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add the turkey meat, the vegetables and the sauce. Cook, stirring, until everything is well-coated and sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Off heat, drizzle with the sesame oil and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve immediately.