A simple recipe for tasty, juicy grilled chicken skewers. The secret is to season them well and avoid drying them out on the grill.
These grilled chicken skewers are amazing. They are juicy, succulent, well-seasoned and grilled to perfection. They are very easy to make and everyone enjoys them. So we make them almost weekly in the summer.
How to make juicy grilled chicken skewers
The problem is that they can end up too dry. Actually, that’s a problem with anything made with chicken breast, a lean piece of meat that tends to dry out easily.
The secret to keeping them juicy is to cook them over fairly high heat and to avoid cooking them for too long. This is much easier to do with chicken cubes than with a whole chicken breast. Because there’s less risk of them remaining raw in the middle.
Are grilled chicken skewers healthy?
I think they are. Chicken meat is nutritious. I would, however, caution you to try and avoid getting the meat very charred. Even though the risk from everyday eating (as opposed to lab experiments where huge quantities are fed) is likely small, charred food does contain carcinogens.
What should I serve with grilled chicken skewers?
They are excellent with a side of grilled vegetables. I like to serve them with grilled broccolini, with grilled portobello mushrooms, or with grilled zucchini. You can also serve them with a salad such as this creamy cucumber salad.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of these grilled chicken skewers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power. Or shred them and use them cold in salads or in a lettuce wrap sandwich.
More tasty kabob recipes
Grilled Chicken Skewers
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked 30 minutes in water
- Heat your grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Thread the coated chicken pieces on the skewers.
- Grill the chicken skewers, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.