Tasty, portable keto sausage egg muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast on the go. Low-carb and high in protein, they keep me full for hours!
I love the convenience of these meaty muffins! They are easy to make, easy to eat (on the go if you must) and they taste great warm or even at room temperature.
But they are not just a convenient, on-the-go breakfast or snack. They are delicious too.
The ingredients you’ll need
Here’s an overview of what you’ll need to make these sausage egg cups. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below:
Ground beef: I use lean ground beef (85% lean and 15% fat). I find that leaner than that is too dry.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use or the cups could turn out too salty.
Spices: Dried thyme, garlic powder, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
For the eggs: large eggs, kosher salt & black pepper, smoked paprika, and parsley for garnish.
How to make keto sausage egg muffins
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Mix together the sausage ingredients – the ground beef, salt and pepper, and spices.
2. Divide the mixture into eight portions, and press them into greased ramekins so that they cover the bottom and sides to create a meaty shell.
3. Break an egg into each meaty “cup”. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
4. Bake them for about 30 minutes at 400°F. Garnish with parsley and serve.
What type of sausage to use?
It’s best to make your own homemade sausage for this recipe, using any ground meat you prefer. I usually use beef, but pork will work as well. And I can imagine that ground chicken, turkey or lamb would also be great in this recipe.
If you can find premade sausage meat that’s free of food additives and has just fresh meat and spices listed as the ingredients, that’s a good option too.
Is this a make-ahead recipe?
Yes! You can absolutely make these keto sausage egg muffins in advance and briefly reheat them in the microwave, covered, when ready to enjoy.
You can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. They are also surprisingly good when eaten cold, straight out of the fridge.
More make-ahead breakfast recipes
Breakfast egg muffins are a classic. You can make the basic recipe, or add interesting additions such as mushrooms and chopped cold cuts. And these keto blueberry muffins are tasty, portable, and delicious.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Sausage Egg Muffins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil for the ramekins
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 large eggs
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place eight 7-oz ramekins on a large baking sheet and brush them with the olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix together the sausage ingredients. Divide into eight equal portions (I use a kitchen scale) and place each portion in a ramekin.
- Press on the meat with your hands so that it covers the bottom and the sides of the ramekins and creates a shell.
- Break an egg into each of these sausage shells. Sprinkle the eggs with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Bake until the eggs are set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from ramekins onto a serving platter and sprinkle with parsley. Let cool 5 minutes before enjoying.