These oven roasted cabbage wedges are wonderful. They are crispy and so flavorful. Roasting cabbage is a game changer, convincing even picky eaters that it’s worth a try.
Roasted cabbage is such a pleasant surprise to anyone who dislikes this vegetable. These oven roasted cabbage wedges are a delicacy. It’s difficult to believe that a cheap vegetable like cabbage can taste so good. But the truth is, high-heat roasting transforms many vegetables. Roasted Brussels sprouts are another good example.
I happen to like cabbage very much. I think it’s always delicious, even when very simply prepared with butter and garlic. But roasting it certainly elevates this healthy vegetable into a whole new level, turning it into a crispy, tasty snack.
My Picky Eater, who pretty much despises all vegetables, declared this recipe as “amazing” and asked for seconds. I nearly fainted.
How to make roasted cabbage
Although it’s not exactly a quick recipe – it takes about 50 minutes from start to finish – it is actually very easy. Cut the cabbage into wedges, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with spices, and roast for 20 minutes on each side, until tender and browned.
Is olive oil safe at such high temperatures?
I think it is. This study tested it in deep fryin, and found that extra-virgin olive oil was the safest of the oils used, possibly because of its high level of antioxidants. If you’re not convinced, you could use avocado oil instead. But it won’t taste as good.
What main dishes go with roasted cabbage?
Anything goes! It’s such a versatile side dish. But since I roast the cabbage in a 425°F oven, I like to serve it with main dishes that I can cook in the same oven. So I often serve it with baked salmon, with rack of lamb, or with Parmesan-crusted chicken.
What about leftovers?
Keep leftover roasted cabbage in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave on 50% power. They are also good cold. Sometimes I shred them and add them cold to a salad the next day.
Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- Olive oil spray for the pan
- 1 large green cabbage (2 lbs before trimming)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly spray it with olive oil.
- Remove the cabbage’s damaged outer leaves. Cut it in half, then into quarters and finally into wedges.
- Place the cabbage wedges in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Roast the cabbage wedges for 20 minutes. Carefully flip, brush with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and keep roasting until golden-brown and fork-tender, 10-20 more minutes. Serve immediately.