This cabbage stir fry is incredible. Seriously. I know it’s just cabbage, but cabbage has a way of absorbing other flavors, and the sauce here is phenomenal.
This cabbage stir fry doesn’t look like much, I know, but it’s one of my favorite vegetable side dishes these days. It’s just so very flavorful!
I already knew that cauliflower is wonderfully versatile and a great option for those on a low carb diet (no wonder I have so many cauliflower recipes on this blog!).
As it turns out, cabbage is also very versatile, taking on the flavors of whatever sauce or seasonings you cook it with. In this cabbage soup, for example, it gets wonderful warmth and spice from the spicy sausage.
And in this recipe for cabbage stir fry, it has all these wonderful Asian flavors that make it super tasty.
How to make cabbage stir fry
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed recipe. But the basics are very simple:
- Cook aromatics in some oil.
- Add the cabbage.
- Add an easy sauce.
- Stir fry for just a few minutes.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. Cabbage is a very healthy vegetable. It belongs to the family of cruciferous vegetables, which have many health benefits.
As for the soy sauce, while it’s not paleo, I believe it’s fine in moderation. Although you should obviously use an alternative if you need this recipe to be gluten-free.
What to serve with cabbage stir fry?
How to keep the leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power. This is one of those dishes that actually tastes even better the next day.
Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1 medium green cabbage, 1 1/4 lb.
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, then slice each quarter into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or a wok over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage slices. Cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Add the sauce, bring to a boil, and continue to stir-fry 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, drizzle the sesame oil on top, stir one more time, sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and serve.