Delicious Asian cabbage salad has wonderfully complex flavors thanks to a flavorful dressing of sesame oil, vinegar, and soy sauce.
I got the recipe for this Asian cabbage salad from my mother in law. She and my late father in law used to love Asian food, and this is one of her easier recipes.
While very easy, this salad does not lack in the flavor department! It’s actually one of my favorite salads, and my entire family enjoys it.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need five simple ingredients to make this flavorful salad. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Shredded cabbage. I make my life super easy by using a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw.
- Sesame oil
- Rice vinegar (apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar works too)
- Light soy sauce (or a gluten-free alternative)
- Red pepper flakes
How to make Asian cabbage salad
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s a VERY easy recipe! Here are the basic steps:
- Quickly mix the easy dressing.
- Add to shredded cabbage.
- Mix, and let rest for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Allowing the flavors to meld is important. It does make a difference. You can let it rest at room temperature for up to an hour. If you plan to let it rest for longer, cover and keep it in the fridge.
To make my life easy, I use a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw when making this Asian cabbage salad. But it’s not difficult to shred cabbage with a sharp knife! So any way you make it, this is a very easy salad to prepare.
Is this a healthy recipe?
Personally, I do not object to enjoying soy sauce in moderation. But if you do, or if you must avoid gluten, you can easily make this a paleo recipe by using a soy sauce substitute such as coconut aminos.
If you use a substitute, do taste the salad and decide if you want to add some salt.
I would, however, urge you to enjoy this salad in moderation. Raw cabbage can be unhealthy when eaten in large quantities.
What to serve with Asian cabbage salad
What about leftovers?
If you have leftovers, they keep well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. In fact, this salad tastes even better the next day!
Asian Cabbage Salad
- 16 oz shredded cabbage (I use a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over the cabbage. Mix well with a large spoon.
- Let the flavors meld for 30 minutes before mixing again and serving.