In this tasty and healthy Asian cabbage salad, a simple dressing of sesame oil, vinegar and soy sauce results in delightfully complex flavors.
I got the recipe for this healthy keto Asian cabbage salad from my mother in law. She and my late father in law used to love Asian food, and this is one of her easier recipes.
It’s important to let the salad rest for 30 minutes and allow the flavors to meld – it really does make a big difference. You can let it rest at room temperature for up to an hour. If you plan to let it rest for longer, keep in in the fridge.
You can easily make this a paleo recipe by using a soy sauce substitute such as coconut aminos. If you do, taste the salad and decide if you want to add some salt.
To make my life super easy, I use a packaged coleslaw mix, but it’s not that hard to shred cabbage with a sharp knife, so any way you make it, this is a very easy salad to prepare.
If you have any leftovers, they keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days, and in fact, this Asian cabbage salad tastes better the next day.
Asian Cabbage Salad
- 16 oz coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over the cabbage. Mix well with a large spoon.
- Allow flavors to meld for 30 minutes before mixing again and serving.