An easy recipe for sesame shrimp stir fry that comes together in minutes, literally – this tasty dish takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
If you like shrimp and enjoy Asian style dishes, you will love this super quick, easy recipe for sesame shrimp.
This sesame shrimp stir fry comes together in minutes, literally. This tasty dish takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, so it’s ideal for weeknight dinners.
Forgot to thaw your shrimp? No problem!
I love shrimp and always have bags of frozen shrimps in the freezer. If I remember to defrost the shrimp the night before, that’s best of course. But even if I need to defrost them in a bowl of cold water prior to cooking, it adds just 10 minutes to this recipe.
How to make sesame shrimp stir fry
Scroll down for the recipe card. But basically, you mix the sauce, partially cook the shrimp (takes 4 minutes), add the sauce and finish cooking the shrimp, 2 more minutes. That’s it! Dinner is served.
How to serve sesame shrimp stir fry
Pre my low carb days, I would have served sesame shrimp stir fry over steamed rice. These days, I serve it over cauliflower rice, and it’s just as good. It’s also great on top of spinach leaves. The hot shrimp wilt the raw spinach leaves just enough to cook them lightly. Delicious and healthy.
You use cornstarch and honey in a low carb recipe??
I do. Both add minimal carbs to the final dish when divided into individual servings, and both really enhance this dish. So I think it’s worth it. If you worry about GMOs in corn, by the way, you can use organic cornstarch.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this sesame shrimp stir fry recipe in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave, on 50% power.
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or a low carb alternative)*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or potato starch)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, green parts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp. Stir fry until almost completely opaque, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the soy sauce mixture. Continue to stir-fry until shrimp are completely opaque and sauce is thickened, about 2 more minutes.
- Divide the shrimp among dinner plates. Ladle the sauce on top. Drizzle with sesame oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve immediately.