This very flavorful spaghetti squash bake provides all the yumminess, cheesiness and gooiness of pizza or pasta, with a much healthier base of spaghetti squash. It’s very nutritious and filling, so I make it for two and serve it as the entree, alongside some tossed salad or steamed veggies.
- Cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave: wipe the skin clean, pierce it in a few places with a sharp knife, place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes on each side, until tender to the touch.
- Allow the cooked spaghetti squash to rest 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Cut it open with a sharp knife. Use a large spoon to discard the middle part (fiber and seeds). Rake a fork back and forth to create spaghetti-like strands, placing the strands in a large mixing bowl. You should get about 1 lb. of cooked spaghetti squash.
- Add the marinara sauce to the spaghetti squash strands. Mix well to coat. Mix in 2 oz of the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a broiler-safe 9-inch square baking dish. Arrange the sausage slices on top and scatter the remaining cheese.
- Heat broiler on high. Place an oven rack 6 inches from broiler (second rack from top, usually). Broil the spaghetti squash bake 2-3 minutes, until cheese is golden-brown. Allow 5 minutes to set before serving.