These baked chicken tenders are crisp, well-seasoned and delicious. They are almost as good as the real thing!
My kids request either – fried chicken tenders or baked chicken tenders – at least once a week. They are a big hit around here, and the adults don’t exactly complain about having them either.
- 1 lb. (8 pieces) raw chicken tenders
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 whole-wheat sandwich bread slices, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Marinate the chicken tenders in buttermilk for 30 minutes, in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a roasting pan by lining the bottom with foil and spraying the roasting rack with nonstick spray.
- Process the toasted bread slices in food processor into breadcrumbs. Add the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper and cayenne. Process to combine.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the buttermilk. Dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Place the coated chicken tenders on the prepared roasting rack and spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake 8 minutes, then turn to the other side, spray some more, and bake 7 more minutes, until crisp and golden on the outside, and juicily cooked through on the inside.