Delicious, hearty eggplant casserole can easily serve as a very filling meatless entree. The combination of eggplant, tomato sauce and melted cheese is wonderful.
If you like eggplant, you will love this eggplant casserole!
I found it on the Dr. Oz website, of all places. Unimpressed with the “low fat” title, I still sensed that it had a lot of potential.
The original eggplant casserole was very good, but had too much sauce and too much cheese relative to the eggplant, for my taste. So I adapted it, and arrived at eggplant casserole perfection!
The combination of deeply flavorful, roasted eggplant slices, tangy tomato sauce and melted mozzarella combine to create a delicious, pizza-like experience.
If you wish to double the recipe, bake it in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Leftovers taste great for several days, so it’s not a bad idea to make double!
This eggplant casserole can make an excellent side dish, but it is so filling and substantial, that I often serve it as a meatless entree, in which case I divide the casserole into two servings instead of four.
If you like eggplant, try another wonderful eggplant recipe that I make often – eggplant chips. They are so good!
Watch the video to see how I make this delicious cheesy eggplant casserole:
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 large eggplant (1¼ lb), unpeeled
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded part-skim Mozzarella, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with avocado oil spray.
- Slice the eggplant into ¼ to ½-inch thick slices. Arrange the slices on the prepared baking sheet. Spray with avocado oil. Season with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Roast until golden, 10 minutes per side.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange half of the roasted eggplant slices in the bottom of a 1-quart casserole dish. Spread half the marinara sauce on top and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella.
- Arrange the remaining eggplant slices on top. Spread the remaining marinara sauce on top. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and with the Parmesan.
- Bake the casserole until golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.