Creamed spinach is the perfect keto side dish – lots of fatty goodness added to one of the more nutrient-dense vegetables one can enjoy.
I’m always amazed when I order creamed spinach at a restaurant. Made with what must be more butter and cream than actual spinach, it is so incredibly delicious.
I go to steakhouses often. I tend to focus on the steak (ribeye is my favorite) and ignore the tempting starches on the menu. But I do like to share a side of veggies with my husband. We almost always opt for spinach or for sautéed mushrooms.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Frozen chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
How to make creamed spinach
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by defrosting the frozen spinach in the microwave and then removing as much liquid as possible.
- Cook the garlic in butter.
- Stir in the spinach, spices, cream, and Parmesan. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, then serve.
Tips for making the BEST creamed spinach
That’s easy! You use lots of butter and cream. 🙂 But seriously, when I make it at home, I try to use more reasonable amounts of those.
But I must confess: if you want this dish to taste good, you can’t skimp too much on the butter and cream.
Two more ingredients that make this dish taste amazing are garlic and grated Parmesan cheese. Both add a ton of flavor. And just a little ground nutmeg adds wonderful richness and warmth.
Some recipes call for onion, but I’m not a big fan of it in this recipe. I feel that it’s overpowering.
What to serve with creamed spinach?
It pairs well with any meat, and especially with steak (including lamb steak).
I often serve it for brunch – this recipe for eggs with spinach is wonderful.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. I’m not sure about restaurant versions, because I don’t know what exactly goes into them (and I probably don’t want to know!)
But this homemade recipe is made with real-food ingredients: spinach (which is very healthy), butter, cream, parmesan, and spices.
I add just enough of the dairy ingredients to cream the spinach and make it taste good, but they don’t overwhelm the dish.
Can I make creamed spinach in advance?
Yes, absolutely. You can make this recipe the day before, then cover and refrigerate. The next day mix it again and reheat very gently.
You can reheat it on the stove on low heat; in the microwave, covered, on 50% power; or in a 250 degrees F oven.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the frozen spinach in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high just until thawed, about 3 minutes. Place the spinach in a colander and press on it to get out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, heavy cream and Parmesan. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, 1-2 minutes, then serve.