Cubed eggplant, tomato sauce, basil and mozzarella combine to create a delicious, pizza-like experience. I adapted this one from a recipe on the Dr. Oz website, which was very good, but had too much sauce and too much cheese relative to the eggplant, for my taste. When I’m out of fresh basil, I use instead 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano. If you wish to double the recipe, bake it in a 9 X 13-inches baking dish.
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 1 hour
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes
Olive oil spray
1 large eggplant (total weight 1 pound), unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce (I like Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce for its clean ingredients list)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup (2oz) shredded part-skim Mozzarella, divided
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Transfer the cubed eggplant to the baking sheet. Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle pepper and garlic powder. Roast, tossing once, 15 minutes, until golden.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the marinara sauce, cayenne and basil. Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with olive oil spray.
4. When eggplant is roasted, remove it from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Add the roasted eggplant to the tomato/basil mixture. Add half of the Mozzarella and mix well.
5. Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella and the Parmesan on top. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Total Fat 9.0 g
Saturated Fat 3.7 g
Cholesterol 18.4 mg
Sodium 442.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 11.8 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5 points