A truly easy, foolproof recipe for slow cooker pulled pork with a homemade bbq sauce. It’s one of my favorite weeknight dinners, and leftovers are great too!
I just love this recipe. Dinner doesn’t get any easier than this! It’s a wonderfully easy recipe with just two ingredients. Two!
Quickly mix the homemade barbecue sauce (or use a store-bought sauce), pour over the pork, set and forget. Eight hours later, come home to a tender, flavorful, perfectly cooked entree!
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need two ingredients to make a slow cooker pulled pork! How wonderful – a delicious and easy recipe with only two ingredients. I told you this was a keeper. 🙂
Pork loin roast: You can also use pork shoulder roast. See the discussion below about which cut of meat is best.
Barbecue sauce: Either store-bought or homemade, this is completely up to you. But if you go with store-bought, try to find one without too much sugar.
How to make pulled pork in a slow cooker
Easily! Scroll down for the detailed recipe card. Here are the basic steps:
Place the meat in the slow cooker pan (no need to brown it first).
Add barbecue sauce (I use homemade bbq sauce).
Cook on low for 8 hours.
Shred the meat and mix it with the sauce.
What is the best cut of meat for pulled pork?
Pork shoulder is probably the best cut. It’s tasty and fatty and won’t dry out during the slow cooking process. I also use it when making a pork roast.
But I often use pork loin successfully in this recipe. It’s leaner than pork shoulder, but I find that it still produces tasty and juicy pulled pork, probably thanks to the barbecue sauce.
How to serve pulled pork?
Traditionally, you would serve it on buns. But I skip the bun and serve this dish over cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower. I add a simple green side (such as microwave broccoli) for a complete meal.
If you want a bun but also want to keep this low-carb, you can use cloud bread. I usually don’t bother.
What to do with leftovers?
As with most slow-cooked meats, leftovers of this slow cooker pulled pork keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. To prevent them from over-drying, gently reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Other slow-cooked recipes that you might enjoy
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 2.5 lb. pork loin roast (or pork shoulder)
- 1 (7 oz jar) tomato paste (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey (or a low carb substitute)
- Remove the pork loin from its packaging and wipe it dry with paper towels. Place, skin side down, in slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce ingredients. Pour over the pork loin and use your hands to make sure the pork is well-coated.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Carefully remove the slow cooker lid (hot steam will escape). Increase heat to high. Use two forks to shred the pork and mix it well with the sauce. Allow to cook a few more minutes until thickened, then serve.