A truly easy, foolproof recipe for slow cooker pulled pork with healthy homemade bbq sauce. It’s one of my favorite weeknight dinners, and leftovers are great too!
Dinner doesn’t get any easier than slow cooker pulled pork. Quickly mix the homemade barbecue sauce, pour over the pork, set and forget. Eight hours later, come home to a tender, flavorful, perfectly cooked entree!
The ingredients needed to make slow cooker pulled pork
You’ll only need two ingredients to make this tasty dish:
- Pork loin roast (or pork shoulder roast)
- Barbecue sauce – store bought or homemade
How do I make pulled pork in a slow cooker?
Easily! Scroll down for the detailed recipe card. Here are the basic steps:
- Place the meat in the slow cooker pan (no need to brown it first).
- Add barbecue sauce (I use homemade bbq sauce).
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the meat and mix it with the sauce.
What is the best cut of meat for pulled pork?
Pork shoulder is probably the best cut. It’s tasty and fatty and won’t dry out during the slow cooking process. But I often use pork loin successfully. It’s leaner than pork shoulder, but I find that it still produces tasty and juicy pulled pork, probably thanks to the barbecue sauce.
But pork is unhealthy?
That’s debatable. You should make your own decision of course. But it can be argued that fresh pork meat is actually quite nutritious. Specifically, it’s been shown that regular consumption of lean fresh pork may improve body composition.
How do I serve pulled pork?
Traditionally, you would serve pulled pork on buns. But I skip the bun and serve this slow cooker pulled pork over cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower. I add a simple green side (such as microwave broccoli) for a complete meal.
What to do with leftover slow cooker pulled pork?
As with most slow-cooked meats, leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. To prevent them from over drying, gently reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Other slow-cooked recipes you might enjoy
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 2.5 lb. pork loin roast (or pork shoulder)
- 1 (7 oz jar) tomato paste (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey (or a low carb substitute)
- Remove the pork loin from its packaging and wipe it dry with paper towels. Place, skin side down, in slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce ingredients. Pour over the pork loin and use your hands to make sure the pork is well-coated.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Carefully remove the slow cooker lid (hot steam will escape). Increase heat to high. Use two forks to shred the pork and mix it well with the sauce. Allow to cook a few more minutes until thickened, then serve.