Tasty shrimp salad with a wonderfully creamy dressing is the perfect lunch, and it also makes a wonderful dinner in the summer.
Main-dish salads are a lifesaver in the summer. They are light and fresh, they are easy to make, and they save you from heating up the oven.
This delicious shrimp salad is so easy to make, and it’s so very flavorful. I love making it in the summer. It’s so fresh-tasting. I dress it in a lovely dressing of mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and garlic. It’s a light dish that goes really well with dry white wine.
The ingredients used in this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty dish (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
Shrimp: It’s best to use small shrimp since they are bite-size. Try to use sustainable shrimp if you can.
Mayonnaise: I prefer avocado oil mayonnaise. Sir Kensington’s is a good brand.
Dijon mustard: Dijon is creamier and less vinegary than yellow mustard.
White wine vinegar: Or use fresh lemon juice if you prefer.
Kosher salt and black pepper: I use kosher salt in most of my recipes. If using fine salt, you might want to use less salt.
Vegetables and aromatics: Minced red onion, minced garlic, minced celery, and chopped cilantro.
How to make shrimp salad
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Boil the shrimp briefly, just until pink and opaque. Transfer them to a bowl filled with cold water. This will stop the cooking process, and will also help chill them.
2. In a salad bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
3. Now add the cooked shrimp, the red onion, celery and cilantro to the dressing. Mix gently, then serve.
If you like spice, try adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the dressing. You can also add seeded, thinly sliced jalapeno peppers.
What shrimp to use in this recipe
It’s best to use small shrimp – 40 per pound. Since they are bite-size, they are easy to eat in a salad. You want them peeled and deveined, of course, but unlike warm shrimp recipes such as baked shrimp, here you also want the tails off.
Can I use frozen pre-cooked shrimp?
Yes, you can defrost them and use them in this recipe. Just keep in mind that these shrimp are a compromise – they’re not as good, in terms of both flavor and texture, as freshly cooked shrimp.
How to serve shrimp salad
I really like it just as it is, on a plate, eaten with a fork! But if you want to serve it with something, here are a few ideas:
- Serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce.
- Stuff it inside a lettuce sandwich wrap.
- Serve it on thick slices of almond flour bread.
- It’s great on halved cheese muffins.
- Instead of stuffing tomato with crab salad, stuff it with this shrimp salad.
How long can I keep it?
You can keep it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing this salad.
More tasty shrimp recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. small shrimp , peeled and deveined, tails off (40 per pound)
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or fresh lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Additional salad ingredients:
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Cook the shrimp:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the shrimp. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the shrimp, uncovered, until pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked shrimp to a bowl filled with cold water, to stop the cooking process. You don't want them overcooked.
Make the dressing:
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, vinegar, garlic, kosher salt, and black pepper.
Mix the salad:
- To the bowl with the dressing, add the cooked shrimp, the red onion, celery, and cilantro. Gently mix to incorporate. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for a couple of hours. Gently mix again before serving.