Low carb and keto tacos are made with crispy, delicious cheddar shells. They are at least as good as high-carb shells, if not better!
Who says you can’t enjoy tacos on a low carb diet? Simply replace the corn tortilla shells with cheese shells. They are just as tasty, crunchy, and – of course – messy!
Low-carb substitutes to high-carb favorites
When my husband and I started eating a low carb diet, I was on a mission to find low carb substitutions for all our high-carb favorites. The first year was especially difficult. We really missed many of our old favorites, such as grilled cheese and donuts.
But tastes evolve, and after several years of low carb eating, I don’t miss the old stuff anymore. I am very content with a juicy steak!
Still, once in a while it’s nice to vary our menu and make something special. After some experimentation, I am very happy to say that there’s no need to give up yummy tacos when you eat keto or low carb!
Simply replace the tortilla shell with a crispy cheddar cheese shell. The cheesy shell is delicious, making these tacos at least as good as high-carb ones.
Of course, another great low carb option is to make a tasty and filling taco salad.
The ingredients used in this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make these tasty tacos (exact measurements are provided in the recipe card below):
- Taco seasoning (store-bought or homemade)
- Shredded cheddar
- Lean ground beef
- Tomato paste
- Taco toppings
How to make keto tacos
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Form taco shells from microwaved cheddar cheese.
- Cook the ground beef with onion, garlic, tomato paste, and taco seasoning.
- Divide the meat between the cheddar shells, top with your favorite toppings and serve.
Are these keto tacos healthy?
However, if you have a specific issue that requires you to minimize your consumption of saturated fat, then it’s possible that this recipe is not the best fit for you.
Can I make the cheddar shells ahead of time?
Not really. They do lose their crunch fairly quickly. But they are so easy to make, and they are ready so fast, that I don’t really see it as an issue.
Low Carb Tacos
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, 85/15
- 1 onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Your choice of toppings
- In a small bowl, mix together the taco seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
- Wrap a ruler in foil, and suspend it between two mugs, to create a station for shaping the taco shells.
- Place 1/2 cup shredded cheddar on a piece of parchment paper. Spread thinly into a 6-inch circle. Microwave on high until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Microwave ovens vary, so start checking after 1:30 minutes.
- Allow the cheddar to cool no more than a couple of seconds, just until you can bear touching it. You want it to remain pliable. Gently peel it off the parchment paper, and fold it over the suspended ruler (as illustrated in the photos below). This will shape the cheddar crisp into a taco shell.
- Repeat three more times with the remaining cheese. Place the formed cheddar taco shells on plates.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and the onion (you don’t really need to add any fat, the meat will quickly render its fat). Cook, stirring to break up the meat, 2-3 minutes. Add the taco seasoning, the garlic and the tomato paste, and continue to cook until meat is cooked through, 2-3 more minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop up the meat from the skillet, dividing it evenly among the cheddar taco shells. Add your choice of toppings (I used sour cream, guacamole and salsa) and serve.
Recipe adapted from The Food Network.