A simple recipe for vanilla flavored Greek yogurt frosting, with a low carb no sugar option using Swerve Confectioners.
Thick, creamy and delicious, Greek yogurt frosting is a healthy, higher protein alternative to frostings made with butter or cream cheese.
I sometimes use this Greek yogurt frosting to frost these keto chocolate cupcakes instead of using the peanut butter frosting. It’s a great combination!
This is not a last-minute type of recipe, because straining the yogurt is a must in order to achieve a thick enough consistency.
While Greek yogurt has already been strained, and is much thicker than “regular” yogurt, to use it as frosting we need to get rid of even the small amount of whey that it still contains. Once we do, whipping it with powdered sugar and then chilling allows it to thicken enough to be used as frosting.
Greek yogurt frosting is softer than typical buttercream or cream cheese frosting, but if you follow the steps below, it will hold its shape once piped onto cupcakes – and it is delicious. The recipe below makes about 2 cups, enough to frost 12 cupcakes.
How long will this frosting hold? I’m not sure. I typically make it and use it right away, and don’t have any leftover cupcakes. It’s possible that it won’t hold more than a few hours, but I truly don’t know.
For a low carb and healthier version of this Greek yogurt frosting, you could try replacing the powdered sugar with Confectioners Swerve. Unlike regular powdered sugar, Swerve does not contain cornstarch, so it’s possible that the low carb Greek yogurt frosting won’t be as thick, or hold as well, as the high-carb frosting. This is something you will need to experiment with for yourself.
Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar*
- Place a fine-mesh strainer over a small bowl. Place the yogurt in the strainer. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in fridge to drain, at least two hours and preferably overnight. This step is important, otherwise the yogurt will be too liquid to make proper frosting.
- Using an electric hand mixer set on medium speed, beat together the strained yogurt, the vanilla and the powdered sugar until the frosting thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes, while you bake your cupcakes.
- To frost your cupcakes, fill a quart-size Ziploc bag with the Greek yogurt frosting, snip the corner and use to pipe frosting onto the cupcakes, or simply use a spatula to spread frosting on the cupcakes.