Fluffy keto chocolate cupcakes are made with coconut flour and frosted with a generous amount of creamy, delicious peanut butter frosting.
These low carb and keto chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting are made with coconut flour. They are amazing, wonderfully fluffy and sweet.
The peanut butter frosting is creamy and decadent, and you get quite a bit of it on each cupcake! Another good frosting is this Greek yogurt frosting, but I like the peanut butter frosting better with these cupcakes.
I made these keto chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting for my husband’s birthday. He loves the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. It’s his favorite. Back in his high carb days, his favorite candy was Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. These days, he loves my healthy, keto peanut butter bars.
But for his birthday, I wanted a cake – or cupcakes. I experimented quite a bit until I reached perfection, and I’m glad that I didn’t give up. These keto chocolate cupcakes are just wonderful. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Since this recipe relies on baking soda as a leavening agent, you should use natural cocoa powder, and not Dutch processed cocoa powder. The Dutched cocoa powder is not acidic, so it won’t react with the baking soda, and the cupcakes will be flat rather than fluffy.
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Do take them out of the fridge 30 minutes before you plan on enjoying them.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 teaspoon melted butter for pan
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup water (or milk)
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons powdered peanut butter (PB2)
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 6 muffin cups with liners, and brush the liners with coconut oil or melted butter.
- Place the remaining muffin ingredients in food processor and process until smooth, 1-2 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Using a 4-tablespoon ice cream scoop, transfer the batter to the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely, about 30 minutes on a cooling rack, before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, PB2 and xylitol in food processor. Process to combine. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, as needed, to achieve a creamy consistency. Process 1 more minute, stopping once to scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor bowl.
- Leftovers keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving.