Easy, delicious paleo bbq sauce requires no cooking and contains just a few wholesome ingredients. Drop the ingredients into a bowl, whisk for 2 minutes and it’s ready!
This super easy paleo bbq sauce is made with just a few simple ingredients, requires no cooking, and tastes just as good as sugar-laden store bought barbecue sauce.
I used it last night with my pulled chicken recipe and it was amazing: very flavorful, with just the right balance of tangy and sweet.
This paleo bbq sauce is excellent for brushing on meats, then slow cooking or grilling. This caramelizes the sugars in the sauce and brings out its natural sweetness.
Without cooking, it’s a bit acidic. I use it most often for oven baked ribs and for pulled chicken.
Obviously you can simply buy barbecue sauce, and I believe that these days paleo options are available, but I actually like making this homemade paleo bbq sauce. It’s easy and delicious and as clean as can be in terms of ingredients.
If you’re trying to eat low carb, this recipe will prove challenging – with the tomatoes, balsamic and maple it’s definitely not low carb. You could try using a low carb alternative instead of the maple syrup, and use the sauce sparingly.
Paleo Barbecue Sauce
- 1 (7 oz jar) tomato paste (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or a low carb alternative
- Use a hand whisk to whisk everything in a medium bowl until well-blended.
- Use in your favorite recipe. This recipe makes about 1.5 cups of barbecue sauce.