Easy paleo or keto BBQ sauce requires no cooking and contains just a few wholesome ingredients and no sugar. Drop the ingredients into a bowl, whisk for two minutes and it’s ready!
This super easy paleo/keto bbq sauce is made with just a few simple ingredients and no sugar. It requires no cooking and it tastes just as good as a sugar-laden store-bought sauce.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty sauce. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Tomato paste
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Spices: garlic powder and smoked paprika
- Maple syrup or a keto alternative
How to make paleo/keto BBQ sauce
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Simply add all the ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Whisk until blended. That’s it! I use a hand whisk, it’s that easy.
How to use it
This sauce is excellent for brushing on meats, then slow cooking or grilling. This caramelizes the natural sugars in the sauce and brings out its natural sweetness.
Without cooking, it’s a bit acidic. So I wouldn’t use it as a dipping sauce. I use it most often when making oven-baked ribs or pulled chicken.
Last night, for example, I used it with my pulled chicken recipe and it was amazing: very flavorful, with just the right balance of tangy and sweet.
Why is this better than store-bought?
Obviously, you can simply buy barbecue sauce. But most are very sugary.
Keto BBQ sauce
If you’re following the ketogenic diet, this recipe will prove challenging. With the tomatoes, balsamic and maple it’s definitely not low carb.
To make it keto, use a sugar-free alternative instead of the maple syrup (I sometimes use stevia), and use the sauce sparingly.
I do have an excellent recipe for North Carolina BBQ sauce – this one is low carb AND paleo.
How long can I store this paleo/keto BBQ sauce?
I usually make it, then use it right away in a recipe. If you need to store it, I suggest keeping it in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 5 days. Stir it again before using.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Paleo/Keto BBQ Sauce
- 1 (7 oz jar) tomato paste (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or a keto alternative
- Place the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and maple syrup in a medium bowl.
- Use a hand whisk to whisk everything together until well-blended.
- Use in your favorite recipe. This recipe makes about 1.5 cups of paleo bbq sauce.