Easy keto BBQ sauce requires no cooking and contains just a few wholesome ingredients and no sugar. Drop the ingredients into a bowl, whisk for two minutes and it’s ready!
This super easy keto bbq sauce is made with just a few simple ingredients and no sugar. It requires no cooking and it tastes just as good as a sugar-laden store-bought sauce.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty sauce. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Tomato paste.
- Balsamic vinegar.
- Sea salt and black pepper.
- Spices: Garlic powder and smoked paprika
- Sweetener: I use stevia. You can use a no-sugar liquid sweetener instead.
How to make keto BBQ sauce
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Simply add all the ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Whisk until blended. That’s it! I use a hand whisk, it’s that easy.
How to use it
This sauce is excellent for brushing on meats, then slow cooking or grilling. This caramelizes the natural sugars in the sauce and brings out its natural sweetness.
Without cooking, it’s a bit acidic. So I wouldn’t use it as a dipping sauce. I use it most often when making oven-baked ribs or pulled chicken.
Last night, for example, I used it with my pulled chicken recipe and it was amazing: very flavorful, with just the right balance of tangy and sweet.
Why is this better than store-bought?
Obviously, you can simply buy barbecue sauce. But most are very sugary.
What makes it keto
Tomatoes and balsamic vinegar are definitely a challenge on the keto diet. But as long as we use a sugar-free sweetener and use the sauce sparingly, it can work.
Another excellent alternative is this recipe for North Carolina BBQ sauce, which is more vinegary than sweet and VERY tasty.
How long can I store keto BBQ sauce?
I usually make it, then use it right away in a recipe. If you need to store it, I suggest keeping it in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 5 days. Stir it again before using.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto BBQ Sauce
- 1 (7 oz jar) tomato paste (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener or the equivalent in stevia
- Place the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and sweetener in a medium bowl.
- Use a hand whisk to whisk everything together until well-blended.
- Use in your favorite recipe. This recipe makes about 1.5 cups of keto bbq sauce.