Ready in just 30 minutes, shrimp and sausage skillet is ideal for weeknight dinners. Serve it on top of cauliflower rice for a complete low carb meal.
This is a very flavorful, bold-tasting dish that, as so often happens, was born out of the need to use up leftovers. In this case, I had an open package of andouille sausages that I wanted to use up.
Since I only had frozen shrimp, I decided to just add them frozen to the skillet. But if you have fresh or defrosted shrimp, that would work too. Simply reduce the cooking time to 5 minutes instead of 10.
The ingredients you'll need to make shrimp and sausage skillet
Here's an overview of what you'll need to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below.
Olive oil: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you'd rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Tomato paste: Try to use one that contains no added sugar or salt.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: Paprika, cumin, coriander, and crushed red peppers. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Sliced sausage links: I like to use Cajun-style andouille sausages. My favorite brand is Aidells.
Tomatoes: I use Pomi chopped tomatoes. You can use canned tomato puree, but try to use an Italian brand such as Cento. American canned tomatoes are too acidic.
Raw shrimp: Peeled and deveined, with the tails on or off - this is purely up to you.
Chopped parsley: This is mostly for garnish, so it's optional, but it does add a nice layer of flavor as well.
How to make shrimp and sausage
It's so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Cook the sausage slices in olive oil with tomato paste and garlic.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the shrimp and parsley. Bring to a boil.
3. Add the shrimp, reduce the heat, and cook until the shrimp are cooked through. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Ready in just 30 minutes, this recipe is ideal for weeknight dinners. And if you serve it on top of cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash noodles, it's a complete low-carb meal.
Is this a spicy dish?
Yes, if you make the recipe as written, this dish is truly spicy! So if you don't like your food very spicy, use just half the listed amount of crushed red peppers.
The tomato brand you use makes a difference
I recommend using Pomi tomatoes in this shrimp and sausage recipe (link provided below in the recipe card). Pomi is a brand of Italian tomatoes, available on Amazon, at Whole Foods, and in some supermarkets.
These tomatoes are noticeably sweeter than local tomatoes. So if you use canned tomato puree, try to use another Italian brand - Cento. Or, if using an American brand, you might want to taste the dish for acidity and add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to balance out the flavors.
How to serve shrimp and sausage
What to do with leftovers?
You can keep them in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to three days. Make sure you reheat them very gently, so as not to overcook the shrimp. It's best to reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
More tasty shrimp recipes
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large (3 oz each) sausage links, thinly sliced (I used cajun-style andouille sausages)
- 2 cups Pomi chopped tomatoes, or one 14-oz can pure tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 16 oz raw shrimp, frozen, briefly rinsed in cold water to separate them
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, garlic, paprika and cumin. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage slices and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper, coriander and crushed red peppers. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until opaque, about 10 minutes (5 minutes if shrimp are not frozen).
- To serve skillet sausage and shrimp, spoon it over rice, cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash.